BUSHMAN FRIDGE INFO.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2818 Views:3911 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone who has a Bushman 42l Fridge please advise as to their performance. They claim to run at 1.6amps at 2deg. I have read other responses to fridges and someone said that they had to put a different lid on them.. why?. Also they are supposed to only weigh 22kgs. Appreciate some views on these. I realise that fridges and tyres are a personal thing but the only way to find out is ask..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
The Bushman is a Chinese made fridge using a Danfoss compressor. They have an extra high domed lid so make it the 42litre they are quoting. With the standard lid, it is 35 litres. This is really a bit of a rort as the extra space is really not what you would call useable space. It is only good if you want to stand 1 litre bottle upright.
The fridge weighs 20kg. The Bushman performed quite well in the tests as far as power usage and insulation went.
That test done on the 12vDC fridges, was conducted from a mains 240v regulated supply. While yes, the figure was 1.6amps on a 12vDC battery, you would expect the figure to be a more realistic 2.0amps and in summer 2.6 amps. The 1.6 amps was in controlled conditions and did not emulate normal ambient tempretures of a typical day.
www.bushman.com.au
evaKool had advertised in the Brisbane Courier Mail before Christmas their 40 litre fridge (genuine 40 litres) for around $670 from memory. It is along the lines of the Bushman. It is not dissimiliar to the Bushman.
You may also like to look at the evaKool ED50 which uses a Danfoss BD35 compressor with the superior IndelB suspension system, and is Austrlian made and performend exceedingly well in the tests. The evaKool ED50 is fibreglass and a genuine 50 litres and the top can be fully opened in nearly all vehicles, and the top makes a great food preparation work surface being completely flat. You will find a little difference between the Bushman and ED50 evaKool in price, probably around a $100
www.evakool.com.au
AnswerID: 10669

Follow Up By: Member - Robert - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Thanks for the reply. I will look again at these but it is a matter of information overload when buying camping gear is'nt it.
FollowupID: 5654

Reply By: Foz - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

I bought a Bushman nearly three years ago and added the dome lid with insulating bag a year ago. I chose to sit it on a 3 inch thick piece of foam in the back of my 80 Series Cruiser and shook the living daylights out of it on the way to the Cape, the Top End to Roper Bar, Kalumburu, Cape Leveque, the Tanami and it has performed faultlessly. We keep it in the 4wd for all our shopping trips. I particularly like the electronic control display of temperature; it cools quickly and uses about 2.6 Amps on full load. At night I raise the temperature to 8 degs and 2-4 degs by day. It also works perfectly as a freezer if needed. We are more than happy with it, given the price of some other models.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 10673

Follow Up By: Member - Robert - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

FOZ.. THANKS FOR THE REPLY
FollowupID: 5663

Sponsored Links