Jackaroo finer filter

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2821 Views:1531 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have fitted a Finer Filter to my 2000 diesel Jackaroo but it seems to be a looser fit in the air filter housing than the original .I am worried that dust may enter the airways via the less than tight fitting filter if it becomes clogged during my trip to the Kimberlys.Can anyone suggest a cure.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Steve, you could smear a layer of grease top and bottom, as we have been shown with m'bike filters. It would tend to grip the filter as well as providing more dust catching. Just be bit messy when you clean up. See ya..
AnswerID: 10686

Reply By: fatboy - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Hi Steve, have seen this problem with a loose filter in a nissan patrol , finer filter were contacted and the lenght of filter was too short , they replaced the filter immediately with an extra foam ring glued on the top of the new filter to provide a tighter , dust sealing fit.Hope this helps . Other wise these are an excellent product with which I have had excelent service for many years.
AnswerID: 10687

Reply By: Darian - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

G'day Steve....I have a FF in my 99 TD Jack ....seems to be a good product......quite happy with my set up .....mine is a very snug fit indeed - it has 2 sleeves on it though....suppose it is the same for all models.....the inner sleeve is like a complete can with a hole cut in each end. The outer sleeve is completely open ended.
How about you ask them for a filter that fits properly ?
Only snag I have found with mine is that after washing and recharging them with oil, you need to roll them on newspaper with a bit of PVC tube to get the excess oil OUT. Getting the sleeve like the new ones takes a bit of doing....too much oil is a drag for the motor, and messy too......Cheerz....dp
AnswerID: 10694

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Steve,

I have one my 3.5V6. The 2nd stage filter fits tighter than the original and is clamped down by the top of the air box. The 1st stage filter sits ok in the airbox. Not too tight or loose.

If you have a concern with it, do call Finer Filter. They are pretty good with enquiries.

Heck, they even respond to emails!
AnswerID: 10702

Reply By: CJ - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
Steve,
Not an answer to your question, but will your warrenty with Holden be affected by fitting a non-genuine filter?
AnswerID: 10712

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 16:37

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 16:37
Thanks for your replies.I will call Finer Filters and see what can be done and the grease seems a good idea.As far as the warranty issue goes the jackaroo is now out of warranty but I dont think Holden would like them
FollowupID: 5723

Reply By: phil - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 18:53

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 18:53
I used to use the Finer Filter type cleaners (about 15 years) until I happened to roll out a paper element cleaner and compare the surface areas of the two - the paper element left the oil/foam filter for dead. Furthermore, when you hit dust, the oil/foam filters are brilliant at stopping the dust but clog up quicker. You'll be cleaning oil/foam filters every day in dusty conditions - even twice a day. My advice is get rid of foam and stick with the original. Even when the originals get a bit dusty, you can blow them out to get buy. I've even washed mine of a night and it dries by morning.
PHIL TURNER
PS: Keeping a free flow of air on diesels is more important than petrol.
AnswerID: 10759

Sponsored Links