holden rodeo

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 20, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 284 Views:4954 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i am looking at buying a rodeo and iam concerned about the soft suspension when 4wd with a camper trailer is it going to be a problem so much so that i will have to upgrade it.Also will it have enough power to do the job
THANKS LUKE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: darryl - Thursday, Jun 21, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 21, 2001 at 00:00
luke,i have a 98 4wd crew cab and found the same thing with the suspention a liitle under done on rear . I fixed the problem by fitting pedders load rider coil helper springs ( they fit from diff axil housing to top spring shackle mount )
$360 fitted and have made an big improvement on load carry, body roll.I am a tradesman so i carry a bit of gear and are happy with them.Iam off up to the kimberly on tuesday towing a off road camper . I found the power is there but since i have fitted 31 inch tyres found low gear grunt was lacking , so as a experiment fitted two hi-clones before and after turbo and was amazed at the difference .Turbo comes in at 1600 rpm instead of 1800 -2000 and the power is straight to the ground. Fuel consumption have have not checked but wll know in a few days .Good luck

darryl
AnswerID: 658

Follow Up By: Luke Salzmann - Sunday, Jun 24, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 24, 2001 at 00:00
thanks for the advise but i am still tossing up over the rodeo and the 3l hilux i will be travelling along the gibb river road and doing quiet a bit of off road work with the trailer so do you think it will cope
FollowupID: 191

Reply By: Dion Chandler - Thursday, Jun 21, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 21, 2001 at 00:00
Luke, buy the Rodeo. My Rodeo is a single cab ute 4WD with Turbo Diesel. I find my Rodeo suspension when loaded is ok, but a little light when unladen. If you go the Diesel and can afford it, fit an intercooler to it, however even without the intercooler, because of the low gearing (4.55:1) there is plenty of power there. Tyres on mine I have left the same. I had purchased a second spare rim and fitted a new identical tyre to it. Once you have six wheels, you can space out the purchasing of new tyres by 10000 km. Other accessories, Tuff Lids tonneua cover, Gitsham Bullbar, GME UHF and 27MHz radio's, and a Safari snorkel. The intercooler is a Hi-Tech unit. Cheers, Dion
AnswerID: 661

Reply By: Graham Comitti - Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00
Luke, Check out Pedders see what they have for your vbehicle, but I have used PolyAir bags on 2 of our Commodores so far and very happy with them for catering with heavy loads.
AnswerID: 669

Reply By: peter moyle - Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00
luke i am on my second crew cab first one a 97 2.6 petrol second one a nov 2ooo 3.2 petrol both had a good ride even loaded i didnt think soft but both sagged my 7 month old had dropped almost 40mm. last month i had the rear springs re set and an extra 8 mm leaf added.this cost $310 compared to 650-700 for oz steel replacement. i reset 65mm with no problems this gives 25mm above original ride hieght with firm but not harsh ride. front i have had no real problems, i have a steel bar and 8ooolb warn winch both utes sagged but both times ive had the torsion bars wound up and no more sag. im in a club and do a fair bit of off road and only finished loading for a morning start to cape york. fully loaded still above original height. i am more than pleased with the rodeo i went petrol and pull a trailer for work. you wont want for power. the deisel is good to its just a personal choice which one you choose. hope this may help.
regards peter moyle
AnswerID: 674

Reply By: peter moyle - Sunday, Jun 24, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 24, 2001 at 00:00
luke i just thought you may be interested to know i use just over 13 lt per 100 km (20 mpg )with the 3.2 petrol crew cab. regards peter moyle
AnswerID: 675

Reply By: Dion Chandler - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2001 at 00:00
Luke, I constantly get around the 30mpg from my Turbo Diesel Rodeo on the highway, dropping to 27mpg when towing. Cheers, Dion.
AnswerID: 721

Sponsored Links