road conditions at cape york

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 20, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 285 Views:2447 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling up the OTL to the cape, returning thru Lakefield N.P and south to Daintree via the Crebb Track.We would like to hear from anyone who has been up there recently and can provide us with road conditions. Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, Jun 25, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 25, 2001 at 00:00
A friend recenly went from Innisfail to the tip and back in 5 days - he used the bypasses mostly said they were in good condition - he did a small bit on the Telegraph track and said it was slow going - most of the road work was concentrated on the bypasses. Can't help with the creb track.
AnswerID: 685

Reply By: Bede Maynard - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2001 at 00:00
My wife & I went to the tip of cape York in 1997. The Telegraph Track is slow going but passable.Gunshot creek was so baad that we bypassed it. The worst roads were south of Weipa around Laura. Great trip and I can highly recommend it.
AnswerID: 690

Follow Up By: Tim - Saturday, Jun 30, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 30, 2001 at 00:00
Bede! you lucky soul!We went to the top last in July 2000 via Cape Tribulation and the OTL and returned on the bypasses (we were advised against the CREB)and found the OTL to be extremely slow but adventurous, however the bypasses were painfully corrigated and caused the odd temper flare and no where near as quick as we anticipated - the bypasses took us two full and extremely long days from Siesa to Cairns

Good Luck!
FollowupID: 203

Follow Up By: Corey Mol - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks all for your replys. We had a fantastic trip. Overall road conditions were very good. would recommend the OTL up and back if time permits. Much more scenic AND enjoyable. Even caught a barra! Hmmm where to next year???
FollowupID: 232

Reply By: DAVE - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2001 at 00:00
just returned from the cape went through Maytown, up and back on the telegraph track, out to vrilya point,out to lakefeild and bathurst bay then onto cooktown via starcke,then down the creb track.
Depending on your level of experience and if you get a dry run down the creb you should have no worries . I frequent the area a lot and found the roads in great condition this year except where some moron has bridged the wenlock and another fool has dug a new entry to gunshot and where yet another idot has choped trees to make a new crossing at barra and sandalwood creeks. The only creek we didn't drive was the jardine as it was still flowing to deep . But the level of it would have droped by the time you get there. Have a great time. but rember if you do happen to get stuck fix the existing track don't make a new one
AnswerID: 864

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00
Corey, I'm plannig to do the Cape in a year or so. By any chance did you take any Video of the trip?
AnswerID: 950

Sponsored Links