Electric thermo fans

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 16:43
ThreadID: 2856 Views:2029 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The thread about the overheating Rangie has prompted me to ask this.

What are your thoughts on replacing the standard Jackaroo engine fan, which is on a viscous clutch, with an electric fan?

I've wondered whether this would result in a fuel saving or not, but am also concerned about the implications during water crossings.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 18:20
Isnt there another thread here on themo fans? or is that another forum...

They hate water mud or dirt... Not just water crossings, dust in the small motors on them kills them... Then your left with no fans. Some last 2 trips some last 3 months smoe last longer...
AnswerID: 10841

Reply By: Eric - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 23:18

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 23:18
Savvas.
Because electric fans are about 40% efficient and your alternator is about 20% efficient you will use about 10 times the engine power to move the same amount of air, but if the the fan is switched of by the thermostat then it uses no power so the answer is keap your viscous drive because it should be freewheeling when cold and driving when hot. Eric.
AnswerID: 10879

Follow Up By: Peter - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:21

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:21
Don't be fooled like I was. When my 80 series landcruiser has sat overnight the fan is hard to turn. Start the engine and run for 2 minutes then stop & re-check the fan - it should spin quite freely.
However, on a hot day when the vehicle has been working hard the fan will be hard to turn. If it is not, it is possible that it needs repacking with a special type of silicon - available in tubes from dealers.
FollowupID: 6078

Follow Up By: David - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 13:49

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 13:49
Sorry Eric- no electric motors are only 40% efficient and no alternators are only 20% efficient- not even close mate.(I'm in the electrical trade)
If 60% of the power going to a motor was was wasted it'd be red hot in minutes.

I went to dual electric fans on my GQ diesel about 5 years ago -cured overheating problems, and they have already lasted longer than my last viscous drive fan did. Added bonus is your water pump will last longer too as less strain on the bearings.
FollowupID: 7517

Sponsored Links