aftermarket suspension

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:01
ThreadID: 2864 Views:2541 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
i have a current model prado and i want to lift the car with new suspension. i would like some feedback from anyone who has done similar with their prado, what they have used etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:16
Have you checked the archives? Use the search function in this forum, and you will find a heap of info on suspension and shocks. Be prepared to get a bit confused, some people hate what others love!
It is a good move to upgrade - the lift will get you that extra clearance, and the suspension will be a huge improvement in handling both on and off road. Upgrade of tyres will increase grip and dependebility when off road. You can search the forum for debates on tyres also.
Best of luck
AnswerID: 10869

Reply By: Member - Stephen- Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:40

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:40
Bulldust,

I upgraded my Prado suspension after it gave up the ghost at 50,000 km. Not only did I get a bit of lift (2 to 3") the increase in ride quality was amazing.

I can't recall the brand of springs but they were standard rate but taller. I put Bilstein monotube shocks on all 'round. On a trip to the Victorian high country the rear bilsteins failed as they "topped out" and broke away from the top mount. It appears they couldn't handle the wheel travel. I replaced the rears with Toughdog FoamCell shocks and have not looked back after an additional 100,000km. The Bilsteins up front gave no problem at all.

Upgrading the Prado standard suspension will make your vehicle much more capable off-road. It will be money well spent.

Cheers
Stephen J.
AnswerID: 10875

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:44
http://www.geocities.com/prado_95/suspension/prado-suspension.html
AnswerID: 10876

Reply By: Thommo - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:55

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:55
Bulldust,
After scraping front end and tow bar on my old RV6 for 4 years, I fitted am OME suspension. This gave a 50 mm lift, and handling on open road was very similar to STD, however in the bush it was a very big improvement, particularly when loaded up with all the camping gear for 4. Also adding larger tyres onto the RV (same size as GXL) also gave some added height. I did not go for the heavy springs, as car would be un-laden for most of the time. I found no need for polyair bags. I had a steel bar, but no winch, and had a deluxe ARB full-length rack on top that carries touring tent, sleep mats, clothes and chairs.
I have since had this suspension re-fitted on a new TD GXL, and found it very good on this vehicle, however stiffer springs on front could give a less pitching ride around town. The RV6 looked level, however the TD GXL has a lean to the front.
The TD GXL has traveled to the Corner Country, Innamincka and Flinders Ranges. Fully loaded the ride was level and fantastic.
In short, I recommend the OME product, and if you have a TD, maybe get stiffer springs up front.
Thommo.
AnswerID: 10899

Reply By: trevorp - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 13:20

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 13:20
Bulldust
I have a Prado with ARB sahara bar and winch, Tanami drawers, Fridge and slide, dual batteries etc, in other words, every accessory known to man and tow an Aussie Swag campertrailer, so I needed the best aftermarket suspension to cope.
I considered the Tough Dogs, but the OME heavy duty springs and shocks I had fitted are fantastic with or without the trailer on the back.
The truck corners flatter and more sure footed on the bitumen and, of course, is great off road too.
The addition of Goodyear ATRs and a diff lock has also helped a lot as well.
Trevor
AnswerID: 10907

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 15:39

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 15:39
Bulldust,

I know a lot of people with Prados through our 4wd club and the email group, and lots have upgraded suspension.

If your Prado is relatively new and you wish to save money, then upgrade the springs only ($300 + fitting). I've had two Prado TDs and have done this both times using lifted Aurora Springs and have been very happy with the results. The factory shocks are very reliable with good strong bushes and I've never had problems with fade etc. Kings, Aurora, Pedders etc etc all supply good springs that mate to the factory shocks.

If your factory shocks are worn or you want to go the whole hog, then spend $1200+ and get the lot. Many of the aftermarket brands (eg ARB) use fatter front shocks which can only be mated to fatter springs. With the Prados front strut setup, you can't mix and match.

Don't go for more than 40mm lift or you will start tearing front CV boots apart. I also have polyairs at the rear and like the adjustability they provide.

265/75R16 tyres will add an extra 15mm clearance over the 265/70's and are cheaper and come in LT.

The Diesel Prados are 65kgs heavier on the front end than the V6 so need slightly stronger front springs.

When you've narrowed your selection, ask again. Or join the 90scoool email group on Yahoo and go through the archives.

Cheers

Phil
AnswerID: 10912

Reply By: David - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:56

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:56
I have had six Prado's with varying suspension configurations and have found the best set up on mine hich is a Turbo diesel with winch and sahara steel bar is a full OME suspension. Heavy duty on the front and medium on the rear. To supplement the rear I also have POlyairs which comes in handy when we go on the famuily trip. We have six kids and need the heavier suspension on weekends away but most of the week it is just me and I don't want the extra stiffness in the rear during the week.
AnswerID: 11325

Sponsored Links