Perth to Alice

Submitted: Friday, Jun 22, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 287 Views:1912 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip from Perth to Alice Springs July 2002. We will be travelling in 4Wd's and Viscount camper trailers (the vans with beds that pop out either end). Can anyone please tell me if where I can find out about alternative routes or pass on their experiences for this trip.

Many thanks
Sharon McCormick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrick- Sunday, Jul 01, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 01, 2001 at 00:00
Sharon,
I assume you are taking the direct route using the Great Central Road from Laverton to Ayers Rock. If so, I did a trip across there a few years ago towing a Jayco Eagle Off Roader. There should be no problem with your Vicount apart from dust. This road seems to be fairly well maintained and a speed in excess of 80kph was possible in most cases. You may still need to get permits from the relevant Aboriginal authorities to travel through this area.
At the time you are planning to travel, there is a National Four Wheel Drive Gathering just North of Alice so there will possibly be a bit of traffic on this road. I am aiming to be one of them.
Cheers
Patrick
AnswerID: 707

Reply By: Simon - Monday, Jul 02, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 02, 2001 at 00:00
We travelled from Perth to Yulara in June 1999 and took the Great Central Road from Laverton. We purchased the HEMA Great Desert Tracks of Australia Map Pack and found them extremely useful.

Remember, you need to obtain permits to travel through this area.

The gravel road should be suitable for the types of vehicles you intend taking. We saw a Falcon sedan doing the trip!
AnswerID: 711

Sponsored Links