Igloo 50L

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:06
ThreadID: 2871 Views:1765 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've just seen an Igloo 50L fridge on sale for $250 (only one left). Not telling you where yet until I get some goss on it. I have little knowledge of portable fridge brands other than recognising Engel as being the ducks nuts. I belive Waeco and Eva Kool are also leading brands. But at a quarter of the price, I'd be a looney not to consider this one.

It's only 50L I know, but we are use to travelling with a 65L Evakool Ice Box.

My main concern is that the motor does seem very small in comparison to other brands. I think the model is an Igloo Koolmate 50, does anyone have experience with this model or any other Igloo fridge? How bad can it be?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 13:27

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 13:27
JNK these are what are called a Peltier device cooler. They use around 4 amps plus *continuously* and on a 50L box, would most definitely run continuously. These will only cool things down at best 20°C from ambient tempreture. The 'motor' is small, as the motor is only a cooling fan, the actual refrigeration is electronic.
Here is an explanation of how it works:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator6.htm

Personally, I would stick with your evaKool icebox.
AnswerID: 10908

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 16:26

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 16:26
Waeco also sell similar Electronic Coolers, but they certainly couldn't be compared with a fridge. We had one, and it was good at keeping cold stuff from getting warmer too quick, but they do draw a lot of power so can't be left running overnight, unless you have a decent deep cycle battery and a way to recharge it the next day. We now use a 68 litre Evakool fridge and it will run for 2 or 3 nights off a deep cycle, and cool stuff that wasn't cold to start with.
AnswerID: 11123

Sponsored Links