Polyair failures?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 22:47
ThreadID: 2884 Views:1997 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
On the week prior to Christmas I had a set of Polyairs fitted to my NH Pajero. I was initially happy with them and they certainly improved the blance when towing a Jayco Swan outback.

However, on my way back up the Clyde mountain, returning to Canberra, one of the bags failed. It sounded like a gun shot had been fired near bye. I was running 20 psi at the time, so with one side up and one completely down, the handling was diabolical. Unfortunately we were in thick fog and couldn't stop until we got to a clear area on the top of the mountain.

The company that orginally fitted the Polyairs were very good in organising a warranty replacement and advised that they would obtain more heat shield matierial to prevent the heat from the exhaust causing further failures. I hope they are right.

I have not seen any reports of similar failures on the various forums. Is anyone else aware of similar problems and any suggested remedies
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 23:05

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 23:05
Talked to a guy who fits them in Bundy, and he said most failures occur with orignal springs, Wether he was trying to flog after market springs or not I am not sure, but it is food for thought?

Brian
AnswerID: 10962

Follow Up By: Phil - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 23:10

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 23:10
Thanks Brian. I will chase this up and ask the appropriate questions

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 5914

Reply By: Greg - Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:40

Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:40
Phil I have owned 2 pajeros fitted with polyairs and have had 3 failures. The first was an installation problem and repaired under warranty. The others were caused by the exhaust. A heat shield is necessary and I believe is supplied by polyair these days. Since fitting the heat shield I have had no further problems. Polyairs work well with heavy loads and mine have been tested under severe conditions.
AnswerID: 10982

Follow Up By: Phil - Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 17:17

Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 17:17
Greg,

Thanks for the information. After reading your note I checked the Paj and found that this time they have installed considerably more heat protection gear.

Lets hope I have as good a run as you

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 5974

Follow Up By: Phil - Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 17:17

Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 17:17
Greg,

Thanks for the information. After reading your note I checked the Paj and found that this time they have installed considerably more heat protection gear.

Lets hope I have as good a run as you

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 5975

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 20:53

Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 20:53
Other problems with them is if you lift the suspension or put longer springs in, they can cause the bag to tear...

I sold a set to Ray and I didnt know but one was holed :(
AnswerID: 11020

Sponsored Links