Fuel consumption for Simpson ?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 24, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 291 Views:1989 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Doing the Simpson in 2 weeks in 80 series petrol. Am planning to go west to east direct from Oodnadatta to Birsdville via a combination of French & Rig Rds. (providing roads open in time) Have std. 2 tanks & taking extra jerrycans. Can anyone advise how much fuel they used, or how much they think I should take. Going with 2 others but both diesel. Vehicle weighs 2.5 t empty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Linda - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Kevin,
Don't know whether you've looked at this, but if you go to http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/Deserts/Simpson_Desert.asp our Simpson Desert trek gives you fuel consumption based on cyl & fuel type. It might not tell you exactly, but its a good start. Good luck!
AnswerID: 692

Follow Up By: Kevin - Thursday, Jun 28, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 28, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks Linda, yes I have had a look at this and it provides a good guide, but I have heard of people using more, epecially going direct from Oodnadatta to Birdsville. The cruiser is always a bit heavy on petrol anyway, so it is always good to get a direct comparison. I heve worked out I will need 211 litres, and plan to take 245 so there is a bit of "safety factor", Anyway thanks for the reply.
FollowupID: 199

Follow Up By: Kevin - Saturday, Jul 21, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 21, 2001 at 00:00
Just out of interest we used 165 litres, much less than we originally thought or planned for when we asked the question. We did put 200 litres in the tank, but were still almost 1/2 full when we arrived at Birdsville. Thanks to everyone who provided replies. Kevin
FollowupID: 234

Reply By: John l- Sunday, Jul 01, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 01, 2001 at 00:00
Kevin I did the same trip in a 80 series heavily loaded and used 115 litres.Regards john
AnswerID: 708

Follow Up By: Kevin - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks John, but I think you must have a diesel, and I am going in a petrol, which is a lot thirstier, that was why I was a bit concerned. Maybe next time I might get a diesel.
FollowupID: 209

Reply By: Greg - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2001 at 00:00

Kevin I have just returned from a double crossing with a variety of vehicles. The 80 series landcruiser used 150 litres travelling east to west on the rig road and we all used 20 litres less travelling west to east on the french line. The previous reply of 115 litres must be for a diesel or a mistake. We are all experienced 4 wheelers and all agreed that the trip from west to east on either road was harder contrary to what is normally said. This was because the prevailing winds have created a wall of sand facing west. It took us 4 days each way not 2 as many say. To do it in 2 days or even 3 would be pushing your vehicle. There was little difference in the performance of all the vehicles and the Pajeros performed very well if not the best. What ever you do please please please don't take a trailer. Yes you can get them across with some difficulty but all you do is ruin the track for others.
AnswerID: 715

Follow Up By: Kevin - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2001 at 00:00

Thanks Greg for the update, it makes me feel a lot more confident, but if anything perhaps I am taking too much fuel. The standard two tanks give 145 litres and I am taking another 5 jerries providing an extra 100 litres, but we are going direct from Oodnadatta, not via Mt Dare. Did you also go that way? We are planning to stay 4 nights, with the 5th in Birdsville so have plenty of time. Were you able to get much wood or did you bring your own? Definitely no trailers, but 3 well equiped 4WD with reasonable experience, just not thus trip. Thanks again for your update.
FollowupID: 208

Follow Up By: Ruth Doyle - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Kevin, hope you enjoy your trip - it's great going west to east because you have Birdsville to look forward to - hot showers, comfortable beds, great expresso and cold beer. The weather is fabulous at the moment - quite warm during the day and no wind, cool at night.
I thoroughly applaud Greg advising no trailers in the Desert - also, make sure you let your tyres down - because no letting them down/and or towing a trailer causes corrugations in the dunes on both sides and this makes very uncomfortable travel for others. Call in and see us at the Birdsville Caravan Park (camp sites) and Cabins and tell us how you went. Take as many days as you can to enjoy the magic of the Desert and see all the wonders. It really is something.
FollowupID: 215

Follow Up By: Greg - Friday, Jul 06, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 06, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Kevin. In answer to your follow up you shouldn't require much more fuel to travel from Oodnadatta. The road is generally good and so you should get around highway figures. Wood was generally not a problem. We only had one camp without a fire because we camped on a salt lake on the eastern end of the rig road. The wildflowers were out and a real picture in the eastern end. The flood bipasses if required will add another 100kms. Have a go at big red it is worth the thrill. The trip is generally hard on vehicles and people particularly if you drive too fast, but not a hard 4wd slog. We averaged 32kph on the rig and 28 on the french. This was measured on a gps. We all used 4wd high mostly 1st and 2nd to go up the dunes and occasional 3rd in the swales. Damage to the track (scalloping) is from trailers, too high a tyre pressure (20/25 psi cold is reasonable) and poor technique (too much power on). Good luck it is a great trip but by the time you are finished you will be sick of sand dunes for a while at least.
FollowupID: 217

Follow Up By: Eric - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2001 at 00:00
Greg, did you have any diesels on your trip and what was there fuel consumption particularly a 3.9ltr turbo landcruiser (1987)
FollowupID: 219

Follow Up By: Greg - Friday, Jul 13, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 13, 2001 at 00:00
Eric we had a 6.2litre landcruiser diesel but I didn't get his consumption as yet. The 4.2 litre GQ patrol did very well using about 105 on the rig road travelling west and 85 on the french travelling east. I heard a Disco diesel used around 128 and 108 respectively which seems high but may have been an auto. A 4.2 petrol patrol used 190l which was the highest I heard.
FollowupID: 223

Sponsored Links