'Tableland' track - Kimberly

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 11, 2003 at 19:04
ThreadID: 2912 Views:2815 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any up to date information on the 'Tableland Track' between 'Mount House' and the Great Northern Highway via Tableland and Springvale Stations? The track is mentioned by Ken Weedon in the feedback to the Gibb River Road trek notes but that was more than a year ago. I have heard rumours that it is almost impassable, but that was from a chance meeting with a far from experienced off-roader who worries about traffic humps.

Thanks

Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Jan 11, 2003 at 20:12

Saturday, Jan 11, 2003 at 20:12
Nick it is pretty tough going according to a good friend of mine that did it on motorcycle August last year. This mate rides a specially built off-road BMW and he says it is tough going - so I know it would be. From speaking to him and looking at the photographs, there was so beaut spots, but also some crook spots road wise. Not the sort of trip I think I would want to go on alone in a 4WD.
You will be able to write some new and interesting information when you return.

This is from here:
http://www.greatdividetours.com.au/AOZInfo2001.html
Many four wheel drivers dream of doing the Gibb River Road, but our intrepid travellers are using the Gibb River Road to access what may be the roughest track of the whole trip. The Tableland Track cuts a swathe across the Kimberley Region. It is a true four wheel drive journey with rocky outcrops, river crossings, deep gorges and giant boab trees. They will visit the beautiful Dimond Gorge along the way and eventually emerge at the entrance to the Bungle Bungle National Park. Two nights in the Bungles with helicopter rides and exploration of its many gorges on the agenda.
AnswerID: 11077

Reply By: Member - Robert - Saturday, Jan 11, 2003 at 23:16

Saturday, Jan 11, 2003 at 23:16
I remember reading somewhere recently that one of the landowners was peed off about something or other & has locked the gate thereby making it impassible.
AnswerID: 11089

Follow Up By: Allyn - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 00:19

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 00:19
I think you're 100% correct their Robert
FollowupID: 6067

Follow Up By: Allyn - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 00:21

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 00:21
that should be "there" - sorry folks
FollowupID: 6068

Reply By: greydemon - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:58

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:58
Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated. Looks like I'll have to start the grovelling letters to the landowners - and plan not to go alone. If I make it I'll post feedback on the Gibb River Road trip notes.

Nick
AnswerID: 11095

Reply By: jeff - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:07

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:07
nick, travelled the table land track in 2000, good. we went east to west, some good bog holes between teronis gorge and bedford downs station. teronis gorge is very rocky and good clearance is needed, we were sliding over rocks on our diffs on occasions, but take it steady and you won't have any problems. the track disapeared a couple of times but i would imagine it would be a bit more established now, the road into mornington station was good.
jeff
AnswerID: 11216

Reply By: jeff - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:08

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:08
nick, travelled the table land track in 2000, good. we went east to west, some good bog holes between teronis gorge and bedford downs station. teronis gorge is very rocky and good clearance is needed, we were sliding over rocks on our diffs on occasions, but take it steady and you won't have any problems. the track disapeared a couple of times but i would imagine it would be a bit more established now, the road into mornington station was good.
jeff
AnswerID: 11217

Reply By: Michael Ralston - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 22:54

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 22:54
Did the trip in Sept 2001 and it was a highlight of the Kimberley. Teronis gorge is terrific and if you do it later in the season the you should not have to many problems with the boggs between the Gorge and Bedford Downs. Earlier though and you will need a winch. It is a lovely drive but do need good clearance through the Gorge
AnswerID: 11241

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 23:49

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 23:49
The Tablelands Track is always mentioned in the Kimberley Road Condtions report - check it out, as it was updated today. ie. go to the Resources Menu, select Road Conditions, then select WA and select Kimberley region. It's all there!
AnswerID: 11247

Sponsored Links