Attaching hand winch to tree

Submitted: Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 20:51
ThreadID: 29315 Views:4223 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Santa brought an ARB Magnum hand winch and a tree trunk protector for Christmas - now only if I could figure out how to set it up. Have used tirfor-style hand winches before, but always around the farm on stumps, logs, tractors etc - never used a 4wd tree trunk protector before as I've never winched off a tree.

How does it go together? I though you would simply loop the tree trunk protector around the tree as a sling, and use a shackle to attach the two ends to the pin on the end of the winch, but it simply doesn't fit - and trying to stuff the two loops on the strap around the pin doesn't leave much room for the wire to thread through. Are you supposed to attach the hand winch to the vehicle instead, or am I doing something wrong? 4WD recovery course is on the menu, but not for a few months.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bob - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:12

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:12
Generally, the handwinch is not attached to the 'bogged vehicle' because every time you push and pull the handle you need to step forward to follow the winch, which is a nuisance. Also excess cable is likely to go under the vehicle where it can get run over and damaged.
Although you can attach the winch directly to the tree protector, I always use a short strap or chain to get a bit of distance from the tree, so I have a little more elbow room. There is always plenty of room for the wire to come out
AnswerID: 146364

Reply By: desert - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:16
I am not familiar with the ARB magnum, but would think that trying to connect it to the vehicle would present exactly the same problem as before? Sounds like the mounting holes are too small? A hole of 18mm diameter should allow you to fit a 3.25 shackle on, surely?
AnswerID: 146365

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:29

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:29
2 D shackles between the winch & tree protector should work although when using a Tirfor I have a 1/2 metre chain with fitted rings which gives more handle room & allows the cable to pass through unobstructed. Alternatively a 2 tonne endless fibre lifting sling would be ideal.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 146366

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 00:05

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 00:05
Thanks - might try D shackles, I've tried a pair of 4.7t bow shackles, but they didn't nest together quite right.

A short strap like another tree trunk protector might be the go, and would probably give a bit more elbow room as pointed out - I had thought that the winch was supposed to be stationary to avoid the cable going under the front wheel etc while "walking" with the vehicle as you winch it out, as pointed out above.
FollowupID: 399903

Reply By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 22:27

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 22:27
Problem sorted - a 2.5m 6000kg equaliser strap. One end goes to a 4.7t shackle attached to the ends of the tree trunk protector, the other end is attached to the winch with the pin threaded through the loop on the strap. Is basically a mini winch extension strap. Works a treat.
AnswerID: 146472

Sponsored Links