Prado Spare Wheel

Submitted: Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 20:53
ThreadID: 29316 Views:3760 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
'evening all.

After spending six frustrating months being driven mad by a rattle in the rear of my 120 series Prado, I've finally identified the source.

The Prado spare wheel sits in a hemisphere of rubber molded to the shape of the tyre. This rubber molding sits between the bottom of the spare wheel and the body of the vehicle. It also flaps around over corrugations, and knocks against the body of the vehicle - hence the rattle.

Does anybody have a view about the necessity of keeping this molding? My two previous Prados had the spare wheel bolted directly to the carrier.

I also have two 10cm score marks in the paintwork where the molding contacts the body of the vehicle. If the molding should be kept in place, has anybody had success with any type of packing to protect the paint (and stop the bl##dy rattle)?

Many thanks..

George_M

Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George M (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 17:04
Hi George M
I presume yours is an early 120 series.
I make mention of this in my webpage I think.
The later ones come out with a double sided tape spongey thingy stuff stuck between the body and the plastic guard. If you take yours into your toyota dealer they should repair the paint and put this stuff on.
You must still be running standard tyres as once you go bigger you have to remove that plastic tray.
Mine came off when I put 265/75x16 MTR's on as the spare wouldn't fit and after I returned from my trip I put the standard spare back on but didn't put that plastic tray back on.
Try here. Maybe some help Prado tech stuff
Cheers
120scruiser

Many thanks 'cruiser - I very much appreciate your response.

George_M

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 146408

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:16

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:16
Not sure if you received the link to my web page.
www.lonards-automotives.com.au/prado.html

I think this post was during the dramas david had with the site.
Cheers
120scruiser
FollowupID: 400110

Follow Up By: George M (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:56

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:56
Thanks mate - I got your reply by email.

On the basis of your advice the plastic tray has been binned, and my friendly Toyota man has agreed to fix the paintwork on the rear door.

Thanks again.

George_M

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 400117

Reply By: Damacles - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:50

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:50
George I fitted bigger tyres my spare wouldn't fit with this moulding on. So I took it off and no rattle of paint issues.
AnswerID: 146776

Follow Up By: George M (VIC) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:49

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:49
Thanks Damacles.

I'll eventually go to a 265/70R17 tyre.

On the basis of the advice I've received from yourself and 120scruiser I've dumped the original rubber moulding - I'm just waiting now for the next time I take the vehicle in for a service, so that Mr Toyota can touch up the paintwork on my rear door.

George_M.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 400356

Sponsored Links