Cape York Question.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 14:39
ThreadID: 29326 Views:2297 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip from Adelaide to Cape York in July, the guys are driving up, and are hoping to take two weeks to go from cairns to the tip and back to cairns.

The girls are less keen on spending that long, and only want to join us for 1 week, my question is, if they fly up to cairns and do the first week with us, where can they, or are best to fly out of?

looking at a map, im not sure if any towns north of cairns really have much of an airport to speak of.

look forward to your inspired suggestions

Regards

Zach
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andoland - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 14:55

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 14:55
They should be able to fly out of Bamaga/Seisha right up the top. Weipa has a substantial (for the cape) airport but I guess is at the wrong end of the cape for you.

Ando
AnswerID: 146388

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 15:06

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 15:06
G'day Zach,

Yeah, Bamaga and Weipa, but the more inportant question might be what happens when they fly to one of these. With only 2 weeks you'd hardly want to spend a whole week there (not saying you couldn't) just to wave the girls off. That leaves you with one week to do the rest - not a lot of time. Maybe you could let them shop in Cairns and await your return.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 146390

Follow Up By: Member - Zach S (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 15:52

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 15:52
actually, i think that would be their preference too.

but what I was thinking was they fly into cairns, then we spend a week driving from cairns to say Weipa, and then they fly home from there, and we continue on.

how long would you need to do cairns to waipa?
FollowupID: 399917

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:01

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:01
I suppose that might work. A week to Weipa could work, you could spend some time in Cooktown, Lakefield and Weipa - also a good chance for a flight connection. How's this, drive Cairns to Cooktown via Cape Trib (allow 2 days), Cooktown to Lakefield via Battlecamp Road camp in Lakefield (allow 2 days), drive to Weipa via Musgrave and camp in Weipa (allow 2 days). This will give you 1 day up yopur sleeve and a reasonably comfortable pace.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 399919

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:30

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:30
If the girls only want to spend a week with you a better alternative would be to fly them into Bamaga. That way they actually get to the Tip. They also get to check out the islands. The best part of the Cape is Bamaga to Bramwell Station taking in the OTL and Fritbat and Twin falls. Stay overnight at Wendy's Bramwell Station or camp at the falls. From there you can head across thru Batavia to Weipa. If the girls have had enough you can fly them out of Weipa. If not on to Musgrave overnight Then Kalpower Crossing overnight then on then Cooktown. From Cooktown down thru Cape Trib to the Daintree Mossman Gorge. Gives you guys time to do the blokey things on the way up and suss things out. Lots of pix of that trip on my web page. http://www.aussieat.com/cape_york.html call me if you need further info. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 399925

Reply By: Member - Zach S (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:25
sounds good, might look at doing that.

thank you both for your help

Zach
AnswerID: 146401

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:38

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:38
Zach as rob said I would fly them into bamaga or even horn Island which is next door to Thursday island.
Then do a day trip to the top and then work your way back to wepia or even cooktown.
Then they would have wished they had spent the whole 2 weeks with you.
I personally have been playing around the cape for 7 years and done 17 trips to the top and take 18 days from port douglas to the cape and back down to cooktown and its not enough to have a good look.
We have many Lady's come on our tag alongs only because there men folk made them.
When they finish the trip they say its one of the best trips they have been on and didn't realise how nice it was.

All the best
Eric

AnswerID: 146428

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 21:25
Hi Eric,

Where is that second photo taken?? We'll be up there in Jul, and will need to come to terms with where we can or can't swim - I figure in rocky waterfall type areas it's not a problem - but the pic above, I would have said could have some nasties - how do you work out which way to go (swim or not to swim)??
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 399963

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 06:21

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 06:21
Ivan I am not trying to be a smart arse but I can really tell you because If you happen to go for a swim in the spot I say and you go in a different part of that same river which are long rivers/creeks and something happens I would in the poo for ever sorry.
But I have sent another Picture of another spot.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 399982

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 20:05
Hi Zach,

There will be a group of 5 travelling from the ACT around the same time, keep an eye out for the ACT plates, if you see us make sure you stop to say hello.

Sandy

AnswerID: 146442

Follow Up By: Member - Zach S (SA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:53

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:53
will do sandy, and likewise for sa plates, on a white GQ with exploroz sticker on it.

thanks to all for very useful suggestions.

FollowupID: 400025

Reply By: Yumi - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:28

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:28
I'd offer only two tops.
1. DO NOT GO DURING SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
Too many idiots intent on destroying their suburban chariots on the bypass roads.
2. DO NOT TAKE YOUR GIRLS ON THE CORRUGATIONS.
They will never talk to you again if you travel on the bypass roads. Take them on the old Telegraph Line and then to the tip. Thursday island is interesting too.

Yumi
AnswerID: 146576

Sponsored Links