Frontera Clutch Replacement

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:01
ThreadID: 29330 Views:2135 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Whilst on Fraser Island recently, I had the pleasure of getting my Frontera V6 bogged to the a**e on the Waddy Point by pass, but with the help of a couple of good samaritans (and a troupie full of backpackers comes in handy too ), I was able to get snatched out backwards onto the beach to try again. However shortly after this the clutch has developed a nasty shudder when taking off and reversing, and looking up a previous post has revealed that winching them backwards can force sand into the clutch and I suspect this is what has happened.
What I would like to know is if anyone one else has experienced this problem, and what the approximate cost of a clutch replacement would be.

cheers .
DOBBO60
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:18

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:18
Yep! I had a couple of clutch issues in my Rodeo for the exact reason. If you do need a clutch it's big $$$ through holden. I had the first one replaced under warranty. 2nd time I had a problem the clutch was ok but the shaft that the thrust bearing slides on as well as the carrier for the bearing was very worn. This I had to pay for labour as it was out of warranty of approx $500

Leroy
AnswerID: 146398

Reply By: Jacked off - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 17:56

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 17:56
Dobbo

Had what appears to be the same problem with a Jackaroo. Second time cost me for the clutch and a new flywheel as the sand badly damaged that as well. Cost me about $2300 from a Holden Dealer to have repaired.
AnswerID: 146416

Reply By: DOBBO60 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:40

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:40
Seems like clutches are the achilles heel for Holden 4WD's. I had the first clutch replaced under warranty at 50k, then a complete gearbox rebuild at 70k, then Holden had to pull it again and reset the 4wd actuator gears as they didn't align them properly the first time. That sorted out, it's been running like a clock since. Not happy having to fork out for a new clutch but it won't be a Holden dealer putting out his hand for the cash. Didn't help much either when a tree jumped out at me when reversing out of our campsite and stoving in the tailgate. Would have been cheaper staying at home, but nowhere near the fun had.
AnswerID: 146438

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:21

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:21
dobbo - two words for you > not cheap
did mine last year.. about $1600 all up with parts (genuine Holden), labour mates rates. good luck. Holden were not very helpful, so much so that i won't be getting another one after i sell the Frontera......... one day that is
AnswerID: 146497

Follow Up By: DOBBO60 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:51

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:51
Yeah, I expected as much. I've primed the missus up to accept it will cost a packet to fix, but I've made an enquiry yesterday about trading it in on a 2004 model Prado GXL, hopefully I can come up with a good deal and offload the problem onto the dealer.
Good luck with selling your Frontera, I've been trying to sell mine privately since August, have not had a single call.Maybe fuel prices are scaring buyers away from these "carnage causing gas guzzling behemoths".
FollowupID: 400013

Sponsored Links