great ocean rd after we finish the desert tracks

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:27
ThreadID: 29338 Views:2663 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
we are going to head around the bottom on the ocean rd would you have to book camp spots or could you just turn up in the Easter school holidays. Are there any must see spots.
I have got all the info from Victoria tourist bureau and found them good and very helpfull.

All the best
Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 20:39

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 20:39
hi Eric

I suggest it depends on whether you want a powered or non-powered site if looking at Caravan Parks. If non-powered then should be able to rock up at all of them. If powered then definitely book.

If looking at state or national parks I don't think you can book (but willing to be corrected).

The 12 Apostles - now 8 & 1/4 - is worth a look, Port Fairy and definitley the Otways.

Cheers
AnswerID: 146451

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 06:34

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 06:34
Your picture looks like on I have.
Thanks for you reply and we wouldnt need powerd does it get busey around easter.

All the best
Eric

FollowupID: 399987

Follow Up By: GazzaS (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:38

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:38
Hi Eric

like the picture. Seems the most consistant thing about Gunshot is the attraction of the official "onlookers" with cameras.

Easter is known in Victoria for the mass exodus from Melbourne. Everything is quite close and for some reason people relish the opportunity to get away for 4 days. Ususally though Easter includes Vic school holidays but that is different this year due to the Commonwealth Games.

Cheers
FollowupID: 400014

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:18

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:18
Thanks we will be doing the western Victoria deserts first so it would be to the end of the holidays. We would be doing the great ocean rd thing towards the end of the Easter school holidays.

As for the picture it is some one else driving my truck that makes me even more nervous.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 400043

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 21:35
Eric, there are numerous camping spots along the coastline. Two formal ones at Peterborough, one at Port Campbell or just near the Twelve (6-8) Apostles is the Princetown Rec reserve which attracts quite a few campers. Heading a bit further East to perhaps the Aire River where there are a number camps.

# Blanket Bay – Otway National Park
Campsites are on the edge of a safe swimming beach. Near Cape Otway, via Lighthouse Road and Blanket Bay Road. Bookings essential in school holidays. Facilities include pit toilets, communal fireplaces and picnic tables. Bring your own water. No dogs.
# Aire River East – Otway National Park
Campsites near the mouth of the Aire River. Access via Hordern Vale Road. Bring your own water. Facilities include pit toilets and fireplaces.
# Johanna Beach – Otway National Park
Campsites set behind the sand dunes at this popular surf beach. Red Johanna Road, Johanna. Off the Great Ocean Road. Suitable for caravans. Toilets, no fires. Dogs on lead.
# Dandos – Otway State Forest
Large campsite on the river bank amongst the bush. Lardners Track, off Colac-Lavers Hill Road at Gellibrand. Toilets, picnic tables, fireplaces (BYO wood), free camping. Dogs on lead.
# Lake Elizabeth camping area – Otway State Forest
Campsite set in beautiful bushland in the heart of the Otways, a short walk from picturesque Lake Eilizabeth. Access via Kaanglang Road from Forrest. Facilities include toilets, fireplaces and picnic tables.
# Stevensons Falls
Large camping area beside the river and within easy walking distance of the beautiful Stevensons Falls. Toilets with disabled access, picnic tables, wood fireplaces (BYO wood). Dogs on lead. Off Skenes Creek-Forest Road at Barramunga south of Colac

Blanket Bay can be very crowded in holiday periods but there are a number of camps near by, going inland or just a few kms away with no facilities though. Some challenging tracks about too sometimes.

## Must sees - The Otway Fly,- tree top walk - detour off the Ocean Road, plenty of rock formations along the coast from West of Peterborough even Childers Cove. Lovely bays just as spectacular as the famous ones. Bay of Islands, Bay of Martyrs and Newfield Bay. Rock formations like The Grotto, London Bridge and Loch Ard Gorge. Forrested areas like Melba Gully and Mates Rest Reserve.

The Otways seem to be notable bogging capability though I seem to have been lucky so far. Plenty of must see spots but they are pretty easily found and fenced off in parts. The forest Nazis like you to walk to everything these days, but if you have difficulty they give you a disabled sticker for the windscreen and say "stay in town".

Bonz and I aren't far away Eric and a few others too. Bonz could probably tell you where to get bogged too.
AnswerID: 146460

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:42

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:42
I can get bogged anywhere in the Otways, I am quite skilled at it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 399993

Follow Up By: Nick R - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:13

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:13
Off to the right of the Blanket Bay road are some less accessable and quieter (4wd only) spots such as Crayfish bay, a little more exposed and less facilities but a good alternative to Blanket Bay.

Not been bogged in the otways yet...
I stopped when it got really ugly on the Calder Ridge Track, would've need a 6 inch lift, 44s and still a winch and waders!!!
the old coach road is a bit of fun from Princetown to Moonlight head but a bit scratchy on the paintwork......

Have fun,
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 400011

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:20

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:20
The R boys should have an idea, they are only about 20klms from Port Campbell LOL
FollowupID: 400044

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:24

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:24
Thanks to you all I have many more alternatives now maybe to many.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 400047

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 15:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 15:11
Eric, just give me a call on the mobile if you are coming this way - if about I could be of assistance. It is with the rig pic. I may be off travelling mysef of course.....

Sharyn below has some of the pointer to avoiding parts of the GOR but it is interesting to note that a lot of the business people in Port Campbell have been noticing a big drop off in the number of travellers with the fuel price hike. Dollars are down.

Good to see you posting Sharyn. Is that your first?
FollowupID: 400062

Reply By: Member - Sharyn M (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:44

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:44
Hello Eric,
John has given you some great suggestions but in answer to how busy it is along the Great Ocean Rd at Easter, I must say the traffic can be bumper to bumper along most of it, especially if the weather is great. Some parts of the road are now posted at 80Km (Torquay - Apollo Bay) making for a very slow drive. Known Bush camping spots are "first in" although most tracks will provide some sort out of the way camping. Camping at Princetown Res provides showers & toilets, no need to book although you may find some 500 to 600 people. Surf & river fishing & canoeing are a popular pass time here and good base for day trips. Also Melba Gully just outside Lavers Hill is a great place to visit with picnic area and short walk through the forest, at night you can see the glow worms. I'm sure were ever you go you will collect some great memories.

Sharyn

AnswerID: 146527

Follow Up By: Member - Sharyn M (VIC) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:18

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:18
Hi John,

No, not quite the first reply, still getting the "feel" of things as the saying goes.
"Happy New Year"

Sharyn
FollowupID: 400262

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:48

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:48
Did you end up getting your tent Eric??
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 146528

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:21

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 13:21
Funny you should ask I just turned up.
After I finnish here I will put it up and check it out.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 400045

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 16:22

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 16:22
Michael I am surprised how well made it is the wife is also very impressed when she got the poles out dropped one on big toe and now could be broken as I said to her at least they are nice and solid.
I now know that was the wrong to say.
No seriously they seem very well made.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 400071

Sponsored Links