Hay river

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:00
ThreadID: 29349 Views:1518 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip down the Hay river about the middle of the year and have read the track notes on this site. However I would be interested on hearing from anybody that has done this trip, especially in relation to:
- Length of time taken
- Difficulty of trip
- General observations

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Original Banjo (SA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:46

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:46
Jol Fleming is the full quid on the Hay story [[SITE] - Image Link]TE] - he may have time for a reply if you drop him an email.
AnswerID: 146520

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:02

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:02
We has a group do it in 2005. The full trip report is in the spring 2005 edition of 4wheelingSA

Length of time: we did it in a comfortable, relaxed 2 weeks from Adelaide to Adelaide. Jervois to Poeppels is about 7 days if you take your time and do the excellent bush tucker trip with Lindsay, and spend a day wandering around Lake Caroline. You can do it in 3 days if you want to miss the scenery :-))

Difficulty: The 4wding is easy when dry. A mudpit when wet. And the dune country south of Madigans Camps requires some navigation skills and a GPS. You cross a few dunes that are the same as any other Simpson dunes - just run low pressures the whole way and you'll be fine.

General Observations: see our trip report.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 146533

Follow Up By: sh - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 19:36

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 19:36
Phil,

Many thanks for the info. It was just what I was after. We had planned on taking about a week from Jervois to Poeppels so your comments on the trip have been reassuring. Have downloaded your trip report and will read it tonight.

Regards
FollowupID: 400102

Sponsored Links