Let there be light....

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:46
ThreadID: 29380 Views:1856 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
'Arpynoon all,

Driving home over holiday period, lots of traffic, turned headlights on, low beam.

Arrived home but this time forgot to turn 'em off!!!!!!

6 hours later the troopy she no go. Had to charge battery o/n. (dual system but only one battery at this time)

Anyone point me in the right direction for an audible/visual alarm to alert when lights are left on?

Don't have that problem with t'other car and old farts like me need all the help we can get.

Spoke to my local auto elec, who described in quite techo terms what was needed, but I understood zip.

If all else fails and there is nothing off the shelf I will have the local bloke work his (probably expensive) miracle.

Regards
Michael B(SA)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:48

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:48
$10 at Dick Smith, works well.
AnswerID: 146619

Reply By: Michael B - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:50

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:50
Tks Footloose,

Might go into competition with the local bloke, lol

Michael
AnswerID: 146620

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 22:04

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 22:04
In my training course I recommend to my people to have thier headlights on when on country roads specially in dusty offroad conditions. As a saftey precaution to prevent flat batteries I teach them every time they switch thier headlights on in daylight hours to lock thier drivers side door. Simple effective headlight on reminder. Cheap too. Cheers Rob.
AnswerID: 146675

Follow Up By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:10

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:10
Good one Rob, will use that.

Pavlo's dog....
FollowupID: 400185

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:57

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:57
Another example I give for lights on in my course. I have ridden M\bikes all my life still do, lights on is an absolute saviour for bikes. Because I ride them I am very aware of them but sometimes at an itersection or in traffic with no light on I have missed seeing a m\bike or a push bike. Fortunately no acident but it certainly gives you a fright. We are basically animals and our brains will always react to light instictively. It cost you zip to have your lights on, if someone can see you chances are he wont run into you. Lights on has been compulsory on all registered Motorcycles since the late seventies in the very first year motor cycle acidents reduced markedly. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 400201

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:36

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:36
The missus makes a loud audible sound when I forget things.
Even the neigbours here it

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 400205

Reply By: Sarg - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:28

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:28
Anyone point me in the right direction for an audible/visual alarm to alert when lights are left on?
Eyes & Brain ????
AnswerID: 146699

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:35

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:35
The missus makes a loud audible sound when I forget things.
Even the neigbours here it.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 400204

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:32

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:32
Jaycar will have something to suit.
I had the same issues when I first got out of hospital after my accident, I lost 30% of my short term memory in the crash, and it was a bitch the first few times I drove (was first time in 2 yrs at the time)...

Or Dick Smith.
AnswerID: 146703

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:43

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:43
Interestingly General Motors did studies in the US in the early 1990's when I was working in their Engineering Department (in Oz) about headlights and safety.

They found that if you drove in daylight with your low beam lights on, other drivers percieved that you were closer to them than you actually were. Therefore they were less likely to undertake a manouvre that puts you at risk. eg. Turning out from a side road in front of you, or pulling out to overtake towards you. They were more likely to wait until the oncoming lit up vehicle passed by.

They also worked out that it needed to be at least as bright as a low beam light and that parker's alone were not enough. Nor were Volvo running lights.

That's why the Commodore got the auto off feature built in so that drivers could leave the light switch on all the time. Ford stuck with the alert - but no reminder to turn them on so that's fairly pointless from a safety point of view.

Try it for a while, it does work. It only has to save you or your loved ones from one ride in my red & white truck and it's worth it!

Dave
AnswerID: 146725

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:14

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:14
Hmmm.... Interesting indeed!!! ..

I have long been in the habit of switching on low beam in any & all "low visibility" situations (drizzle/rain, fog, dust, & on narrow tracks etc.), & always turn 'em on in the arvo when driving in an Easterly direction (i.e. *away* from the afternoon sun).. makes one more visible to those who are driving *toward* the setting sun, but I must say I've not thought much about it in "bright sunlight*conditions....

I may just make it a "permanent" habit.. Thanks for the tip:-))
(guess I'll hafta fit a buzzer as well;-))
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 400198

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:32

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:32
My work car is a VZ Crummydoor with the auto off lights. It's fun when you hop out at the shops and people point out that your lights are still on.

My Paj has auto off lights as well, it just takes 3 hours longer than the VZ and a little more work to get them turned back on ...

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 400234

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:29

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:29
I find that its bad to have them on if you have the sun low in the sky behind you, as the lights "blend" with the sun to oncoming drivers.

where i grew up we had a road that was right in line with the suns path and every arvo i noticed this optical illusion, cars without lights stood out much better.

Having said that i didnt find it an issue driving in canada, they have all cars wired to run low beams permanently, head lights only, you still have to turn the lights on at dusk to get tail lights etc.. And it works well for Canadians. being so far from the equator their daylight is a lot softer too, so this probably helps with the lights.

All Telstra cars are set up for permanent headlight running. and i think on a vy or vz commodore its only a change to the settings with the tech2 unit to activate it.
FollowupID: 400265

Reply By: flappa - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:57

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:57
Its stupid really isn't it.

My Patrol when brough brand new is about $75k (GU Ti) , my little Proton Satria costs about $15k brand new.

Guess which one has , ignition key light, and alarm , and lights on alarm , and also adjustable headlights ???
AnswerID: 146783

Sponsored Links