roof racks and baskets

Submitted: Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:51
ThreadID: 2942 Views:1791 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Has anyone any info on the fors and against roof racks and attaching a basket as to using a standard full roof rack.

thanks peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:01

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:01
Peter, I used some Rhino commercial bars and a black mesh basket for years. I never had a problem with it coming loose, but I did have a problem with wind drag / noise and with the rough mesh rubbing against everything (even after using foam bases). In addition, I never felt really comfortable with the flex in the base when loaded to about 50kgs max. (I was using 2 bars at the time) I eventually got a custom steel rack for the Pathfinder made by Sunshade products in Adelaide which incorporated a wind deflector and channels that suited the Rhino "pygme" feet (track mount). The rack is zinc dipped and powdercoated and was cheaper (inclusive of freight) than any ARB / TJM ripoff. The service was outstanding, the quality excellent - I would recommend them to anyone. The price was not far off the cost of a mesh basket and rhino bars / legs. Check out their website at www.roofrack.com.au - better value full steel racks than the majors
AnswerID: 11226

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:13

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:13
I have bought quite a few products from Sunshade products over the years. First starting in about 1977/78 when I was based in Mackay, Qld for a time. They have always been well made and finished and very well priced. Always had good service as well.
FollowupID: 6174

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:17

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:17
Oziexplorer - how do you think quality and value for money compares with the majors? I agree - the service was magnificent - my rack was completed prior to the forecast delivery date, and then I received a follow up call to ensure the fitting went ok and the rack arrived safely and was to my liking.
FollowupID: 6176

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 22:17

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 22:17
Moggs - excellent. I just don't accept second rate anything, and would not have bought more items from them if the first equipment was not good. As Sunshade Products sell direct from the factory, they don't have to have the 200% mark-up on the goods to give ARB and the rest of them massive discounts. If the likes of ARB, TJM Opposite Lock relied on me for business they would go broke. I like to get value for money and be able to buy other toys. I have never found a product cheaper in the 4WD stores than I could purchase elsewhere.

If you consider your money to be 1st class and 1st quality, why accept anything second rate or second grade. I will not even buy goods off people that do not give me good service or feel they are unworthy. The lack of attention to detail and proper customer service is a major issue today in Australia. You should just not accept it and find another place to go.
FollowupID: 6183

Reply By: Chris - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:33

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:33
Peter

I also faced this question when I was looking for a roof rack. For me the rhino type rack was easy to take down when I am in he city, and to put back when I go bush.
I ended up getting a full rack for two reasons: It was closer to the roof of the truck (making it easier to load and has less wind noise and less drag), and the load rating is better. Now I know that you are not supposed to load too much on the rack, but there are instances when you are going into remote areas that you have to have some more fuel and an extra tyre, and this is not possible with the basket-on-bars.
Note that the above was the choice based on our situation - family of four with limited space inside
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 11231

Reply By: peter - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:47

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:47
thanks for the replies will check that web site for prices etc

peter
AnswerID: 11232

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 23:40

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 23:40
Did you realise that we have run a feature on roof racks and luggage baskets in our Vehicle Setup Feature? Given the feedback you've had about Rhino Rack already you'll be pleased to see all the feature is on Rhino Rack products including pricing and other information worth considering. Go to the Features menu and then Vehicle Setup Feature.
AnswerID: 11246

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:52
Hi Peter,

Rhino racks are an excellent, proven product and I'm sure there are others if you look/ask around.

In my opinion, your decision about whether to use racks/basket or full roof rack should be based on the load you intend to carry so check the load ratings. Also, remember that rough, corregated conditions will place your equipment under much more strain than bitumen travelling.

Another thing to bare in mind is weight distribution. A good roof rack will have a full length runners either side supporting its weight along the gutter. Effectively this helps distribute the load away from the connecting bracket points only.

With a rack/basket set-up, the weight is spread across the 4 bracket points only. Nothing wrong with this so long as you stay within the load limits. On a club trip a few years ago, one vehicle was set up with the rack/basket option. When we arrived at our destination, the front passenger was unable to open their door because the gutter had collapsed under the (overloaded) load. Apart from requiring a costly repair, they also had to do some serious repacking (and dolling some of their load out) to get home.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 11278

Sponsored Links