Anyone got a Oztent micro(thingy??) tent?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 00:31
ThreadID: 29425 Views:4456 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just curious about any feedback from someone with one of those Microfast type tents from Oztent.

Did anyone find they are not as good as the 30sec tent?

Durability, ease of packing up afterwards, storing it somehere in the car........

It all seems so easy on the display stand at the shows... ;)

How big did you get and did you wish for more room?

I'm thinking about a 5 person mimas size.
Why did the 8 person microfast become a 5 person mimas???

stuff like that!

thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 08:12

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 08:12
I have a Microfast MI 4 in Camo.

Took a few goes to get the folding up thing down to pat.
I sewed in extra Velcro at the ends to keep it stowed away, and sewed in some tags along the inside of the ceiling to hold a light & cable.

This tent is awesome. The material has a very waxy sort of feel to it, and is VERY waterproof.
I have camped up at the top of Mt. Crawford here in SA, whilst following the winter sled dog season, and have had the wind and rain flatten it in gusts, only to have it pop right back up again. The winds were clocked at 80 kmh btw.

You MUST sleep with a door open. This tent does NOT breathe, but I always sleep with all doors open anyway.

I use this tent if Tracy & I are doing a quick weekender up the river, and it accommodates the two of us just quite cosy.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 146939

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 10:54

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 10:54
I had 2 MI 4 micro fast tents, only used them twice, hated them. Easy to open and easy to set in position but too many pegs to peg down and the fly takes time to clip on, i thought they were anything but fast. The tents are more than half a circle so you have to peg sort of underneath the tent or very close to the wall and heaps of pegs. Then you have the end flap things to peg out, it really is not pleasant. I would watch someone put one up first b4 you buy. I just bought a OZtrail 9x12 for $330 canvas touring tent, its better by a country mile..Takes exactly 5 mins to complete. I think the microfast may be great on very hot nights when you could leave the fly off and expose the fly mesh on the tent itself, would be nice and cool. Also you cant stand up in all but the biggest micro fast to get dressed. I couldnt find much to boast about the Microfast, but that is only my opinion.. best regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 146960

Follow Up By: Disco Td5 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:59

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:59
Michael -
I totally agree with your opinions .
I purchased a smaller version - and I am very disappointed with advertising 'hype' about these tents being easy and fast to erect .
The amount of pegs and ropes that are required to stabilize this tent is much more than is 'promoted' by the agents that sell this tent to the general public .
I have used mine twice - and it is now "for sale" - - at half price !
Or free - to a good home .
Disco Td5 .
FollowupID: 400483

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:02

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:02
G'Day Disco TD5

I have a good home, if you send details may be willing to take the tent off your hands,

Regards

Rolande

UHUFORREST at YAHOO dot COM dot AU
FollowupID: 400526

Reply By: arthurking83 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:33

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:33
Ah the dilemma??!!

Now I gotta figure out..........., am I " Lone Wolf", or more like "Michael".

What I was actually after, was opinions! :)

Tent pegs are not usually a concern of mine (more is never a problem for me) and I usually replace them with a V shape type, that I can hammer into rock if need be!!

But if the access to the eyes is restricted (I never noticed at the shows) this may be a decider!

They are saying 1.7m high, at 1.8 that only sqeezez me in and I need to stand to get dressed(knee problem)

My biggest hate is guyropes! I hate them!

cheers, and thanks for your input.
AnswerID: 146991

Reply By: chips59 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:51

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:51
have both tents and found the micro does not get as hot as the 30 sec one. I have the 6 man micro and only ever need to put 4 pegs in the tent and two each end for the fly. Have been useing micro now for 5 years and love it. Wife and I are 46 yo. When we stop,I throw the tent out she pegs it and blow the beds up while i make the cuppa and that about as long as it takes real easy.
AnswerID: 147035

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 00:05

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 00:05
Been away with someone with a Microtent, and have to admit, I was impressed. We spent a night with it blowing a gale, and that Microtent fared better than any of the domes. Best tent in those conditions was still a well sealed canvas tent though, but they weigh a bit more than the micro. Single centre pole canvas tent still takes a lot of beating.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 147087

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:21

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:21
Ok!!! second atempt... Microfast does have some good points. I think if you had to carry your gear in to a camp spot , this is getting more common nowadays, cars inside the logs and the tent sites miles away. Its lightweight and compact, throw it over your shoulder. If you stayed more than a day it would be better, i wouldnt like to tour with one. No fly on a hot night, providing there was no possibility of rain, would be heavenly as half of the tent is flymesh !!! It still has the underpegging problem and the cilps for the fly and also the pegs for the fly i forgot. Yes and i forgot about the bloody ropes that were mentioned eeerrrr!! But me at 48yo and in still pretty slim build and in reasonable shape, found it a problem crawling around the ground with a handful of pegs and ropes. One thing i found amusing was if you slightly over tightened a rope too much, the tent completely loses its shape. As wolfie mentioned. they do not breathe, at 3 in the morning the tent starts to drip, i guess people who like the tent would call that evaporative cooling!!
Maybe the bigger versions are more user friendly!! Anyway its not for me, I would borrow one and erect it totally, but dont get into camp too late!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 147285

Sponsored Links