Not the usual 4by news item

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:03
ThreadID: 29430 Views:2794 Replies:11 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Not sure if anyone saw 7.30 Report on ABC TV his past week where Maxine McKew interviewed Professor Raphael Grzebieta of the Australasian College of Road Safety on the accident statistics and the articles we like to keep out of the media. I thought it was a different take and he actually has a few proposals that could help the loss statistics.

The article is here but is a medium length transcript to read.

Essentially he said that 4bys have a lesser rollover protection and less frequently are fitted with electronic stability control and fewer airbags. Few have the curtain airbags that are becoming common in other vehicles. The age of the fleet is part of the problem. If there were legislated systems or if the market drove it that way it would not take long for the accident statistics to show a better trend.

I thought the item was a lot more interesting in what was promoted and slipped by without comment. Of course we want to be ale to switch off the traction control part don't we. ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:30

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:30
A very interesting post, Professor Grzebieta seems to have the right idea about vehicle safety. I still feel the bottom line is better more intensive training. Really earn and deserve that licence. I have written this letter to Queensland's major newspapers every year for the last 4 years and I get lots of feedback on it but nothing seems to get done. "The Road Toll
We read every day of the tragic loss of life on our roads and yet we waste a perfect opportunity to realistically do something to prevent it. We send our kids to school to learn the 3 R’s Readin’, wRitin’ and aRithmetic, I firmly believe there should be a fourth R added to this list, Roadcraft.
As humans, virtually the only thing we do in our day-to-day life that is potentially life threatening is to drive a motorcar, motorcycle, pushbike or even be a pedestrian on our roads.
If our kids are not great scholars it surely affects their future career paths but it doesn’t have the potential to kill them. Giving our kids driver’s licenses with inadequate driver training most certainly does. While our kids are at school we have the perfect opportunity to begin training in both theory and practical lessons in general driving ability, attitude and road craft. Our kids could be accurately assessed on their ability and even rewarded by reduced insurance premiums for proof of ability, attitude and temperament. The flow on effect from greater school based training would be an enormous benefit to our community.
Almost everyone amongst us knows someone who has lost family or friends to the road toll. If a crocodile attacks and kills someone, it makes front page news Australia wide and yet only 10 people have been killed by crocs in the last 20 or so years Australia wide, yet we take it literally for granted that over 3000 people will die on our roads each year and it hardly raises an eyebrow. I will repeat that, over 3000 people dead, and we don’t even hear about the 10 times that many who are badly injured or often permanently disabled.
We have not only the ability, but also the responsibility to do something about it. Our children are our community’s most valuable assets. We owe it to them to make their lives as safe and rewarding as possible.
The most worrying part of my life will be when my kids are finally given that eagerly anticipated drivers license. I wonder about the sleepless nights I will have waiting for them to come home even though I know I will have taken the extra precaution of teaching them how to drive at night, how to drive in wet conditions, how to effectively brake a vehicle in emergency conditions and various road craft survival techniques.
These elements are not required to be taught to our kids before they are given a driving license. Most people are given a license with less than 4 hours formal driver training. I imagine putting your life in the hands of a surgeon with only 4 hours formal training, yet whilst driving we are entrusting every other driver with our lives.
I wonder how many sleepless nights you as parents will have worrying about your kids, sent out to fend for themselves virtually unarmed in modern societies most dangerous environment …..our roads.

Sincerely,
Rob Berrill
Certificate IV Trainer\Assessor
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
http://www.cairnsoffroad.com.au
AnswerID: 146967

Follow Up By: Exploder - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:06

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:06
Just think about all the things you did behind the wheel when you were younger, well your kid’s will most likely do very similar stuff. Fact of life and the only thing you can do is tech them how to handle a motorcar well, Like you talked about.

I think this is a major problem, anybody can pass a driving test it ant that hard, I had 6 lesions and got a HR Truck license, the test only when for 12 minutes as I did everything so well. A driving test doesn’t Asses your ability to control a Car, it just test your ability to Drive like a Granny (Sorry if that offended anyone) and park.

I have just come out of that phase of stupid stuff in car’s, Burn out’s, seeing how fast you can go, I must say I never have and never will drink drive but. i am now 21.

I still enjoy letting the back hang out on gravel occasionally and in the wet, maybe even the odd blackie as well obviously not in the 4WD, let’s you know your still alive LOL.. As well as keeping you reflexes up for when you are in a emergency and when the back slides out, tyre blows out, breaks loc up and so forth you can handle and recover the car safely as you know how it is going to behave.

Have seen people who talk them self up as good drives and drive fast, Chit them self on gravel when the car slides around a bit and I am there thinking I come along this road at almost twice this speed with no problems well in cortol.

FollowupID: 400436

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:46

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:46
Rob, you are so right and it should be so obviously what the problem really is. I got my license in Germany in the 70's and had to do 32 compulsory driver training hours in varius conditions.
If our politisions really cared they would have a look around the world like Germany and Japan.
We had to have a first aid certivicates as well to be able to get a drivers license and that was over 30 years ago.
How many people could be saved if people knew basic first aid?
Why are young people able to drive cars with 200hp or more I really don't understand. Anything to do with votes maybe?
How much power does the car industry have in desision making reagarding road safety? Money before lifes?
They can up the fines and points as much as they like and will make no difference, that has been proven for many years now.
Be intersting to see what happens next.
cheers
Reiner
FollowupID: 400439

Follow Up By: gramps - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:17

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:17
Exploder,

"it just test your ability to Drive like a Granny"

I resemble that remark!!! LOL

We don't have to look any further than the latest road toll figures for the Christmas/New Year's period. 78 dead, up 30 (thirty) on last year !!!!

Education and attitude are the issues that need addressing.

Now all we have to do is find a politician with the guts to push it through - nationally.

Regards
FollowupID: 400444

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:46

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:46
Good on Yer, Rob.
In this era of e-mail you could submit your letter to all newspapers across Aust.
I agree with what you say.
It has also occurred to me that when children are of the age to get that all-important licence school curriculum in the sciences could dwell heavily on the aspects of driving and carcare in preparation for the big event, together with serious driving practice. Imagine if passing roadcraft (as you so sensibly call it) was as essential as getting Matric.
Even then I wonder if licenses are not issued to children who are too young and immature. And I think the time has come with so many more cars on the road that those who infringe seriously should have their car impounded.
SA is going down the automatic license suspension for some offenses, but only once in a 45 year driving career have I ever been stopped at a roadblock to check if I had a current licence. So it is too easy for those under suspension to continue to drive without a license.

This year's Xmas road carnage has brought those who imagine all will be well if more money is spent on roads. But every wise driver knows that it is essential to moderate one's driving to prevailing road conditions.

Camper
FollowupID: 400452

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:32

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:32
Rob,

I hadn't been back to check up the responses but I am pleased that like yours they have been well considered and thoughtful. There are a lot of Nanny type arguments where Government with the capital 'G' has been telling us it is all for our good but as standards of acceptibility have changed, the requirements have changed and standards require to be lifted.

The importance for training is paramount and I always thought on the narrow country roads it was important that drivers knew that a gravel verge was a useful friend and refuge, not something to avoid like death. As observed by others, the farm tracks are very good to get the feel of a moving surface, whether it be sand or buckshot gravel. Many are illequipped to drive even slowly but have become agressive drivers. Young women amongst the worst with recent P platers right amongst those.

In Nanny's Victoria, where observed below there is a high death rate, boredom is a factor now and the need to keep speeds to the recognised levels because of frequent changes in speed limits - even time of day and day of week. There are the speed Nazis even in here that say do the crime and pay the fine - I know that some avoid taxes in other ways too though.

Many of the roads heer have the standards that are common on continental Europe but we have treed verges and are now getting bikie shredders to make sure we don't stray. Victoria has a pictorial record of many of the roads and highways and even some of the byways, but the maintenance being supplied by the State has been abysmal. My car locks it's doors at 15 kph but has had occasions of hitting bumps in the b i t u m e n where the doors have unlocked as the car thought it had been in an accident.

Keep up the quality of comment folks, it is great.
FollowupID: 400464

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:41

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:41
And we want to be able to switch of stability control; the system would probably blow up in some off road situations.

How many Car’s come with side/ certain airbag’s as standard, I would say non except the top pf the range car’s, A XR8 or Fairmont Ghia don’t come with side airbag’s but for $60,000 you will get Side airbag’s standard in a base modal Fairlane.

AnswerID: 146968

Follow Up By: SKP - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:59

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:59
Disco D3 S (base model) ($56 000) has standard, side and head curtain airbags for the front and curtain airbags for the backseat. The 7 seaters have them on row 3. Makes it difficult to fit cargo barriers.
FollowupID: 400434

Reply By: ev700 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:18

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:18
The engineers improve the roads and the cars and install safety devices but the drivers take up the extra margins of safety and more through more reckless driving.

Not arguing against improvements or airbags however it has been proven that drivers feel safer because of the bags and take more risks. Go figure!

There are many fourby drives who are proud of the speed they do on unsealed raods and it is just a pity if you are coming from the other way.

There others who tow heavy trailers at speeds and in conditions that would risky even in a well set up passenger sedan.

Meanwhile the kids, especially the boys, are watching.

What I am saying is that we kill our kids through our own example and it is not on to always pass the buck to someone else. However I would hope that the substantial majority of ExplorOz contributors would set a good example or at least only have infrequent and brief moments of madness.

Fines do little to deter many motorists. I would like to see on-the-spot licence suspension as a way of reminding motorists that their licence to drive is a privilege, not a right.

There is no reason why stupidity eg tailgating at speed should not result in an on-the-spot month suspension, as should exceeding the speed limit through a school zone.

EV700
AnswerID: 146984

Follow Up By: atoyot - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:05

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:05
Got to agree with you on all points, EV700. There are a number of aspects to road safety etc, such as primary and secondary safety of the vehicle, the state of the roads (at best, a contributing factor only IMHO), driver skill, attitute, brains, suitablility to actually be in control of something dangerous etc.

One point I find very interesting is licencing being a privilege, not a right. I think you'll find that the main perception here across the driving public and voted in pollies is that it is a right. I may be corrected, but aren't a lot of assessments for all sorts of things resultant in either being "proficient" or "not yet proficient"? Maybe not technically with driving tests, but certainly the attitude is there. "Not yet proficient" is the way that I'd class the vast majority of drivers on the roads right now, but the overall will of the people is that it is acceptable. A pollie once told me that the road toll is just a part of the fact that we have the freedom to move around as we do with motorised transport, and, unfortunately, society seems to echo this. It is basically an accepted part of our modern society. Not many positives here, but at least our road toll is miniscule compared to South Africa's, as an example. An ex SA firery told me once that it's not uncommon to have 1000 deaths over the christmas period there.

My wife and daughter were in a head on last tuesday (all OK apart from bruising etc) which was caused by the other driver having a spider crawling over her foot. They were in a non-airbage Prado and were hit by a Nissan Pulsar with airbags. What I had reinforced with this was that

1. Look after yourself and family first. Bugger Scruby and drive a 4x4 with a bullbar. Just watch out for pedestrians.
2. Teach your kids by example. Try not to loose your cool when an idiot raises your temperature (I'm still working on how to do this though). Peter Brocks attitude is that you feel sorry for others not having decent driving skills. I still feel more sorry for the potential victims of these idiots.'
3. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. You just need to learn how to minimise them whilst on the road. Just try to pre-empt other peoples mistakes.

I'm afraid that society in general just doesn't have the will to change it's attitute. There is some parrallel with the gun debate of years ago. It's a privaledge, not a right, and all we can do is to plug away at people, pollies and society whilst protecting our own the best we can.

Andrew
FollowupID: 400449

Reply By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:56

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:56
Hey, What about the media placing the fault where it lies, how many times do we see a report stating that wet weather caused or high wind caused etc etc.
Would people not think if reports read stupidity on behalf of driver CAUSED,tell the people put the blame where it belongs on the idiot drivers.
How many times have I been driving in thick fog to have some idiot fly past at a rate of knots and not be able to see twenty feet in front.
How do we stop this kind of stupidity, or the fool who overtakes on double lines and you have to be double alert not to get involved. All good points but WHAT is the answer
.I think if news media pointed the finger and named those responsable in such instances some notice may be taken,in the light of being named as the cause of so called accident.It is not an accident if SOMEBODY caused it,its somebodys stupidity.

Regards BILLS
AnswerID: 147008

Reply By: GEG - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 16:48

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 16:48
When on a stranded beach or at the farm, I often let my 12 year old have a little 5 min (if that) drive of my car. I think its important he learn how to practically drive without the others on the road, the signs and traffic or the road rule distractions. Once he masteres the feel of the brake peddle etc, then he can go learn the rules, get his learners then the P's.

HE needs a lot more practice in the back paddock yet...

He is my oldest boy and I know he will be driving his younger brother and sister around once he turns of age...so I really want him to have some sensible early practice.

By the way, he so appreciates the little drives he is allowed when he gets them...which is not too often...I think its the only time he really listens to me.
AnswerID: 147014

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:04

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:04
Very sensible practice.

There are two basic aspects to being able to drive: 1 - being able to control the machine, ie. a car. 2 - being able to deal with other traffic and the general road requirements. Suddenly having to learn both of these simultaneously at 16 years of age is taxing, to say the least.

Give the children as much opportunity to learn how to deal with the vehicle before they have to worry about road skills; then by the time they actually drive with other vehicles (16 years or whatever) mastery of the vehicle will be second nature and they won't have to _think_ about where the clutch pedal is whilst, at the same time, worrying about the car pulling out ahead of them.

As with all learning processes we learn best if we do things in a progressive manner - good on yer Geg, keep it up and give them more time behind the wheel in the paddock.

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
FollowupID: 400458

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:02

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:02
I do find it interesting that Vic the nanny state has a high holiday road toll and they are right up ya enforcement wise, and NT properly the slackest and the only place in Australia with open speed limit’s, last I had seen a 0 fatalities go figure.

As a young person I can tell you putting adds on TV makes very little difference and even talking about it dose bugger all, the only way young people learn is to get out and see how it happens in a real car in realistic condition’s behind the wheel. So to tech them they must be in a controlled environment but with it made as realistic as possible.

You may remember that add they had on like 2-3 years ago with the blokes in the Charger going to a party and they were all dead with the line come on live life on the wild side davo as they are speeding along.

Well I can tell you we all found it a funny add, There we were flying down the southwest Hwy at 1 in the morning doing 170km/h in a done Up V8 WB statesman quoting word’s from the add laughing, So OK this is how young people act and think.

Or Saturday night to young to get into the pub, so let’s go cruising or run ally Australia (basically gunning it up and down back ally ways around Perth running a little corse.

Or fist rain’s of winter let’s go out and go drifting around corners and roundabouts

Or going down to my mates farm and doing donut’s in the paddocks and rally driving on the back property road’s.

And it was All FUN, But I have grown up a lot since then and I also learnt a chit load about control and handling from doing it.

And if you think irresponsible young people they need more education, well I had a Hard Ass Cop as a farther who would of kicked my ass if I stuffed up and also telling me on a regular basis to be careful and telling me about road accident’s and I still Did stupid stuff.

I had other friend’s who’s present’s sowed them Graphic videos about road accidents that showed interviews with people who had become disabled from road accident’s along with confiscating there key’s if they stuffed up, And guess what they still did it.

I had one friend whose parent’s just said ok he has his licence he is going to do stupid stuff I did when I was younger and I will deal with that.

Education, Tougher law’s making it harder to get a licence, will not make a huge difference, you get in a car for the fist time by-yourself and you what to see what you can do.
150Hrs Log book Ha, what parent has that sort of time free or that money spare to pay for a instructor, My brother had to do the 25Hrs thing and that was a pain in the ass.

What are we going to do make it so you need to be 25 before you can get a licence, well that just ant practical.

Just more laws for the younger people to break.

Agree or disagree with me this is how the majority of young people think and act when they first get their license I know I was one of them.

5years and like 240,000k’s later and have not had an accident, I guess I must be one of the lucky ones.

AnswerID: 147019

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:22

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:22
An accurate post Exploder.

My father always said; "You can't put an old head on young shoulders" and he was right. Youth, by it's nature, is risk taking and adventurous and so it should be - otherwise who would try and change the world? People in their forties with a mortgage? I don't think so. Nevertheless young people do have more motor accidents then older (wiser/more scared? :) people so I think we really do need to train them much, much better than we currently do in Australia and that means hands on time in the vehicle on skid pans, at high speed and in difficult weather and traffic conditions. It's not good enough to quote stupid slogans ("Speed Kills") and expect that to have a positive effect - training, training and more training. Driving is a _skill_ and, as such, can be learned and an existing skill base may be improved upon. People can be _taught_ to become better drivers just as they can be taught to become better tennis players, there is nothing mystical about it. In fact, with effort, it's quite possible to teach oneself to become a better driver – but how many people do you know who ever read a book or watch videos on advanced driving?

Try finding a public skidpan in Victoria where you can go and practice your skid control say, two or three times a year, – how are people _supposed_ to learn to control a skid? At 11pm on a wet night on the freeway? Don't give us slogans, give us facilities - we pay enough damn tax, don't we?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 400462

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:35

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:35
Good posting guys as I comment to Rob near the top. I like to see comments like this continue to run without my interference and guidance.
FollowupID: 400465

Follow Up By: Exploder - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:47

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:47
Agree Mike; we need facilities where you can rock up 1 or 2 times a year to practise this sort of stuff. Young people are going to take risks in cars, so we may as well teach them how to control the car.
FollowupID: 400468

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:00

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:00
>I like to see comments like this continue to run without
>my interference and guidance.

It's a struggle John but we'll do our best :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 400470

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:12

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:12
Getting a drivers license is rediculessly easy in this country. Then you can drive almost whatever you like, including a 4wd. Now I know I'm going to get howled down by pointing out that the part of a kids brain that controls agression and anger, isn't fully developed until around 23. That's 23 NOT 16 or 18 !! So we have "adults" that possibly can't control themselves, never mind a vehicle or a 4wd.
Then there's the question of 4wd licenses. Consider the poor doof doof driver who jumps into a turbo Cruiser. Do they have the skills necessary to drive it safely on or off road ? Should this be left to chance ? The first 4wd I drove belonged to work and was a series 40 Landcruiser...I was frightened to death of it. Contrast that to a mum who jumps out of a Dunnydore and into the family's new 4wd to fetch the kids from school for the first time.
I would argue that a rethink of driver training and licensing , is long overdue. And let's make that a Federal issue, never mind the states fiddling around the edges of road safety.
Sorry guys, friend of mine is an ambo driver and he attends plenty of horrific accidents. Accidents happen, but the senseless loss of life CAN, in some cases, be prevented, especially with our youth.
AnswerID: 147027

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:53

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:53
Loosie, neural pathways are usually understood by the owner at about 25 according to the scientists and hopefully the drugs are tending to be dropped out by then apart from the 'odd' mouth-watering stubbie or three ;-) weeee

We had some young guys here where we couldn't have explained their 'accidents' until we found out their propensity to indulge and I had heard trade things. I didn't know we could lose bunker wall sections like it until one guy drove on a regular basis. Pain in the proverbial.

It is a wonder that more attention has not been paid to the drugged driver problem when you hear of the statistics of drugs in hospitalised accident victims.

Yes, I see the point you make on the young person at the controls the first times. One of the positives in the past of employing young people has been the practice they have had in getting the feel of four wheels sliding. It has been costly if they just do donuts though - bikes lasting just a few short months. One guy learned to drive super rods here and carried our name on his track car. Making money with several trucks now.

It can be great to see people develop. It will be great to see the young woman develop who comes here at the start of summer fromthe Gold Coast - getting farm experience
FollowupID: 400475

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:16

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:16
G'Day John. Mate, obviously you're on some form of property there . Not quite the same as pulling the young girls and blokes out of the creek at the end of my road...no fatalities so far but all totally preventable. Most of em on weed , speed or whatever. Stupid. I just dread the sound of screeching tyres on that corner as I'm always waiting for the bang and breaking glass :((

So you're getting a young woman from my neck of the woods to watch her develop. Ok I'm a DOM, and can assure you that it may be your lot who learn a thing or two ...in several areas :))
What I meant to say is that I hope she turns out to be a good worker and a nice person :)))
FollowupID: 400477

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:36

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:36
Hahha Loosie. A person of good family and they are all a delight to know. I get into enough trouble without even thinking like a DOM. The guys even seem to like to have her around for intelligent questioning too. I am sure she will be a good final year student too....
FollowupID: 400491

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 00:28

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 00:28
John, apologies for the campfire humour. I'm sure that she'll be an asset and a joy.
You'll be happy to know that for my sins the power went off for 4 hours. Was thinking about dragging the genny out but couldn't be bothered.
FollowupID: 400511

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:19

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:19
FLoosie, just keep the laptop charged as I do so you can make those odd dashes to the internet. Even us up some of the battery power in the UPS.

The campfire humour, ....... ummm. LOL
FollowupID: 400519

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:20

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:20
Even the inverter and a long lead ..................
FollowupID: 400520

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:31

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:31
I know the road stats for Christmas were pretty bad but I wonder what effect speed cameras actually have.
They certainly don't stop accidents, and really don't stop speeding. You don't know you've been caught speeding until you get a letter a month or two later.
I wonder what difference it would make if all the police who were sitting at speed cameras (in Queensland anyhow), where actually on the road? I know for a fact that 1 police car on the road and everybody near it sits exactly on the limit.
With speed cameras people slow down when the see them and then take off again once they're past them.
I wear a uniform the same colour as the Queensland Police and know that whenever anyone sees me driving along the road they always drop their speed until they're sure I'm not the police, then they take off. It's amazing how many people see me in uniform and you slowly see the seat belt being slid across the shoulder and fastened.
I believe get more police in vehicles patrolling the roads and less emphasis on revenue raising speed cameras and the toll will be reduced!
AnswerID: 147060

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:42

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:42
Peter I was amazed to hear earlier about the rate being three times last year too. I prefer to see what I have in NSW where there is a warning of a trouble spot and a camera ahead. That is a lot more rewarding for knowledge of black spots than just having a camera car beside the road and find out about your misdemeano a couple of weeks later.r
FollowupID: 400493

Follow Up By: atoyot - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 13:22

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 13:22
The next best thing to having more highway patrol cars is that people think there is a lot more on the roads. I know that it's not strictly legal, but I often warn other drivers of patrol cars by giving them a quick flash of the lights. I never do this when I know there is one around. I only do it when I *wish* there was one a k or 2 behind me. Sometimes, when you can tell that the driver approaching is speeding or doing something stupid (like swerving all over the place), it's interesting to watch them throw the anchors out and drive responsibly. Oh, I never do it when there are 2 of them as I wouldn't want to cause a rear-ender.

Just on another note, I found it interesting that in SA, they have red or black markers to show where deaths or injuries occurred; a bit safer and sobering than the, sometimes, huge memorials we see on the sides of the road everywhere.

I always feel sorry for the emergency services people who have to clean up the messes on the roads, and I often wonder if the trauma of collecting body parts from an accident scene would help some people understand how easilly it can happen and give them a better appreciation of safety.

Overall, we can only hope that the drivers who have no appreciation for road safety and drive like ratbags kill only themselves and not any nearby innocents. Still, there are lots of accidents that are caused by idiots, and there are lots of accidents caused by normal people making fatal mistakes.

Andrew

Andrew
FollowupID: 400533

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:59

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:59
The problem is straightforward - just look at the road toll and examine the factors:
- yourg inexperienced male drivers;
- Letting these young people drive Commodores capable of 200kph;
- Young males on motorbikes capable of the above
- Country roads
- and like the others say - it is way too easy to get a licence.

When my kids got their licence, I preferred to continue to treat them like learners until I thought they were OK. One lesson on country roads doesn't teach them enough.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 147085

Follow Up By: GEG - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 12:13

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 12:13
Hmm kids driving crazy...

As an ex parachutist...i did this for a living...I was told that I skydived because I had a generic makeup of a person who craved to live an adventourous life and got an adrenalin rush from risk taking, that this was sometimes seen as being rebellious. Only occaissionaly did i think that my actions could cause death, more often I was just making sure I enjoyed what I was doing and tried to jump one better next time...this is the same type of characture that left unnoticed in an 18 year old youth, they will direct their need to take risks into car speeding/doing doughnuts etc, like the policemans son above....

Bear in mind that to be a good copper, you will need this same type of gene pool where you do get excited from adventurous risk taking things, and hence most coppers childrens inherit this same gene pool and are usually a bit out of control when young doing risky stuff...

So perhaps we should be looking out for our kids that display such types of behaviour early and getting them into a really risky types of sport, snowboarding/skiing/hangliding/shooting, not that this will stop them going stupid in cars but it may interfere with the time they have on their hands to go stupid, combine this with driving places which could be set up like game parlours/carnivals letting boys bash up cars ... set these places up for party days...smash up derby type of paddocks in the interest of skid pads to assist in responsible car driving techniques...

or better still - send them off to the airforce in the hope they will become fighter pilots and do doughnuts in the sky !!

Remember without risk takers there would be no burke and wills, Cook would never have left England, and the moon would never have been visited by man....

FollowupID: 400527

Reply By: fisho64 - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 03:20

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 03:20
http://www.micom.net/oops/Sign13.jpg

check this out!!
AnswerID: 147096

Reply By: NedKelly - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:20

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:20
I dont like the way they can fiddle with stats to make them say what they want. There was one in the paper re the nuclear power issue and it showed (supposedly) that more poeple preferred it than not. The small print needed to be read to see that the majority percentage was in the above 50yrs age group surveyed and the 18 -49s all were against it but the way they presented the figures made it look like they supported the papers opinion.
AnswerID: 148972

Sponsored Links