Wombeyan Caves Road

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:35
ThreadID: 29431 Views:5771 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all.

There's a tunnel near High Range on the road between Mittagong and Wombeyan Caves. Does anyone know the vertical clearance, the width, and the length of the tunnel?

Thanks...................Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:05

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:05
I just know you cant get a prime mover through it!!!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 146972

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:10

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:10
yea, its pretty big, what are you trying to get through there?

Im fairly sure that buses get thru with tourists, I remember one there, but it could have come in from the other directon, although the road into there was worse than bleep
AnswerID: 146974

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:01

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:01
Rob

From my phot you see that it is very short, trucks use it and there is a bend on the other side from where the photo was taken.

Trucks plural were using it no problem when we were there last.

The caution for caravans is about the road much closer to the caves but there is nothing to stop you and your BT getting through to the cave.

If you plan on going past the caves, there is a rather steepish climb out of the valley but taken slowly it would be okay.

The narrow places near the cave would make passing interesting but we towed trailers through there without the slightest hitch but I don't remember passing anyone on the narrow bits.

If you duch school holidays, you should be fine.

Alan
AnswerID: 147018

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:12

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:12
Forgot to say there is also one of those road mirrors on the other side so that you can see if anyone is coming through. When clear you have the whole tunnel to yourself.

Alan
FollowupID: 400461

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:20

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:20
I travel that road frequenly. The tunnel is not a problem. On about every 3rd or 4th trip down to Goodmans Ford there is inevitablly some sort of vehicle in trouble. I have seen several roll overs, vehicles off the road, down the very long bank, into trees etc.

Take it real easy and have your headlights on.

Expect another vehicle at EVERY corner.
AnswerID: 147023

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:59

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:59
Rob,

Thirty years ago I used to punt a 1418 Mercedes Benz Prime Mover hauling a tipping trailer through that tunnel when running out to the marble quarry on the other side of the caves. We used to cart crushed calcite to Austral Rock Milling who were located in Newtown.

Can't give you any hights or widths but if articulated heavy transport vehicles could traverse the tunnel I believe it damned unlikely you won't get a caravan through there.

In those days the trickiest part of the trip was getting everything lined up so as to slot the prime mover & trailer through the bloody cattle grids at 90k's an hour.

I have seen plenty of caravans in the Wombeyan Caves Caravan Park and I believe it very unlikely that every one of those went in from the Bathurst/Goulburn Road.

Enjoy your trip,

Ian
AnswerID: 147046

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 15:01

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 15:01
Ian, Alan, and others,

Thanks for your advice, it looks like it'll be OK for Toyota+Bushtracker, but will check with Wingecarribee Shire Engineer before we proceed. We've been on many a narrow, steep road before, including Porters Retreat-Taralga, The Bridle Track, Upper Turon to Limekilns, south approach to Bunya Mountain (Qld) Mt. Moffat, Ka ka Mundi, Salvator Rosa, Expedition National Park, Bunroy Junction on the upper Murray, Lindsay Island and more, and so far without a problem. (Except for a large tree across the narrow track down to Bunroy Junction. Took an hour to clear a path.)

Always with caution and the best local advice obtainable.

Perhaps through this website, and others such as the bushtrackerownersgroup.net.au we should be promoting the use of UHF Radio on all narrow roads and tracks throughout this great country. I am aware that 4WD'ers use Channel 10 for jump-ups on desert tracks, but that may not be appropriate where one can encounter trucks around the next corner. Truckers use 40 (except on the Pacific Highwy beteen Hexham and Brisbane where Channel 29 is used.) For me, I would be in favour af Channel 40 on all narrow tracks, even on the desert tracks were there is not likely to be any trucks anyway.

Communication between drivers can only enhance safety, reducing the possibility of head on collisions, sideswipes, and "run off road avoiding" type accidents.

Cheers.....and thanks again..........Rob
AnswerID: 147181

Follow Up By: flappa - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:23

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:23
I thought BT's , Caravaners , and Motorhome folks used channel 18 on UHF for comms. I'm pretty sure our CT guys use that channel as well.

FollowupID: 400667

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:23

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:23
Flapper,

The following is a posting I put on the Bushtracker Owners Group site, and this will explain why it's best to be on 40.:-

Channel 18 is recognised as the Caravanning Channel but I for one would rather travel on the truckies Channels viz. 40 everywhere, except the Pacific Highway between Hexham and Brisbane, where Channel 29 is used. Reason for using these Channels, is, despite the odd bit of bad language (which we can help reduce) you can enhance safety in sharing the road. e.g. when you see a truck coming up behind you, tell him/her you can see them, and tell them "I'll back off when you pull out to pass" In most cases you can see that there's nothing coming before the truck driver does, so call him 'round. eg. "all clear, bring ér round"
When the back of the trailer has passed your bull bar.... "Okay bring 'er in" or, flash your lights.
Another one is if you are coming up to a narrow bridge, call "2.5 van southbound", then any truck approaching the bridge from the other side will back off and let you over the bridge first. If the truckie calls first of course, you had better back off or you' could lose your awning or worse. Classic example of this is the Coopernook bridge on the Pacific Highway.
You'll find truckies really appreciate this co-operation from caravanners, the bad language disappears, they admire your BT, and often a short, friendly conversation will ensue. They will also let you know of any road conditions ahead (you can do the same for him/her) including roadwarks, accidents, stock on road, and of course, where there's a camera, Evil Kaneval, hair dryer, or a plain one. If it's "watch your windscreen", it means there's one right ahead of you. Of course towing your BT, it is unlikey that you are going to be speeding, but always be aware when you hear these messages...could be in a 50 zone, school zone or roadworks site.
So, regardless of the growing number of caravans on the road, some with 18 written on the back, I still prefer to be on the truckies channels and display 40 on the back. You don't need to show 29, as, if you are on the Pacific Highway, truckies will know you're on 29. Caravans represent less than 5% of traffic between 10am and 3pm, and less than 3% at other times, whereas trucks exceed 10% all the time.
And, don't forget, your BT is the same width as a B-Double!!

cheers............Rob
AnswerID: 147360

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:59

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:59
hi Rob,
dont know if you have checked out yet with council but was talking to my father on the weekend and he said you can get a 4 decker sheep float thru as they took out the road base a few years ago.
Know the tunnel and the wombeyan caves road well , learnt to drive on it as family had property there for about 30 years . moved on in the 70's but there were plenty of articulated tippers carting limestone in those days.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 149254

Sponsored Links