+Cape Leveque Road WA

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:08
ThreadID: 29432 Views:4087 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Has anyone recently travelled the Cape Leveque Road WA. I was wondering the condition of the road and the degree of difficulty as will be tavelling with an F250 and a 20ft off road van?

Any help appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:23

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:23
I travelled to Cape Leveque in November 2004 In a 100 Series Cruiser no trailer and at that time it was the worst road I experienced between Cairns and Broome much worse than the Gibb River Road. There is accommodation there in well set up self contained elevated tents. Depending on how long you intend to stay they maybe a better proposition than towing the van in. You wont be disappointed it is a very pretty place. I hope to be back for a few days in May. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 146976

Reply By: Tessysdad - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:20

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:20
Hi Ian,
we towed a camper trailer as far as Middle Lagoon in June 2004. Sandy in places, a few corrugations here and there. Basically a fairly rough sandy track mostly. we met a fellow and his wife at Middle Lagoon, his name was Ian, who left his Kedron van (about 20') in Broome to come out for a look in his Mitsubishi 4WD crew cab. He immediately returned to Broome and cam back the next day with his van. Now for the downside of this reply - you really have to make your decision when you get there with unsealed roads in the Kimberley. A good road one day could be a disaster the next. I would plan to take a van there and make a final decision when I get there.
Happy camping,
Mke and Jan.
AnswerID: 146999

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:24

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:24
Hi Ian, the road conditions change from day to depending on weather conditions & at times can be closed to all traffic. My advice is to enquire on the conditions by cotacting the W.A. Main Roads at :
Telephone: +61 8 9158 4333
Facsimile: +61 8 9158 4334
kimreg@mainroads.wa.gov.au

or the Broome Police on:

(08) 9194 0200
(08) 9193 5077

Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 4:00pm (WST)

Also if you plan to go to Cape Leveque you should book well in advance so you won't be disappointed to find the place booked out when you get there. As already mentioned I wouldn't advise towing a van up there. Even the supply trucks have problems getting there. Cheers
AnswerID: 147001

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:27

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:27
Ian,

I travelled it in a GU Patrol towing a camper trailer with boat and motorin September. It was a breeze. I was sitting on 60 -70 KPH and vehicles with no trailers pased me like I was standing still. There are lots of roadworks happening mainly beyond Middle Lagoon. I found that people often over stated road conditions, albeit innocently, mainly because of limited experience. We followed some people back who had a big van behind their Cruiser ute and they had no problems at all. Incidentally there is a back road that heads off the highway exactly half way between Derby and Broome (turn off at Colourstone house). It is a great track and cuts off heaps if you are coming from Derby. We actually went to Cp L this way and returned directly to Broome. A wet season will have some impact potentially but I would ask an experienced 4wd traveller who has done it before you tackle it. Keep your speed and tyres down (all tyres) - if it is too rough you have plenty of opportunities to turn around as it is a very wide road.
Good luck - it is worth the trouble when you get there.
AnswerID: 147029

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:19

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:19
G'day Kennel,

We used that track last Sept and whilst we had no problems not sure if it would take a carravan. Have a look,

Kind regards
FollowupID: 400665

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:01

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:01
That short cut that Ian mentioned is a great sand road but very narrow track for towing. No problem if you don't meet anyone comeing the other way.

The only problem with the road from Broome is the corrogations. I found Middle Lagoon to be the best place on the coast and a lot less people. Very limited space at the Cape so, as already mentioned - make sure you have a space booked as there is def. no free camping!
AnswerID: 147047

Reply By: Member - Eric P (Int) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:52

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:52
Hi,

I travelled this road in last August with the troopy (no trailer) and experienced it as quite uncomfortable (corrugations, sand..) but not espescially difficult. Travel time to the Cape was approx 3 hrs. Stop at beagle bay to visit the church (worth doing), had a cruise with the aboriginal run company (bit overrated), overnight one night in safari tent (quite expensive, but very fine), the other night in a standard tent (fine, $ 60).

Definitely a fine place to visit.

Cheers

Eric
AnswerID: 147063

Reply By: Member - Tim F (NT) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:54

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:54
Hi Ian,

Although your original question asks " Has anyone been up this track RECENTLY", it's amazing how many people start a response with "I was up there in 2004", or "haven't been up there for a couple of years, but...", anyway, I shouldn't be so cynical!!:) To answer your question, I live in Broome and was up that track yesterday Saturday 7th, and the track was open all the way, sure its muddy, corrigated and washed out in some places, but still a dryish line 80% of the way. I wouldn't advise towing a large van up there today or tomorrow, but during the dry season you would have no problems.

cheers,
tim.
AnswerID: 147124

Reply By: austinrunner - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:39

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:39
I mapped the road that Kennel mentioned in his post. You can see the map here.
AnswerID: 150002

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:20

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:20
I may be wrong but I thought that only camper trailers were allowed to Cape Leveque.

Wayne
AnswerID: 150006

Sponsored Links