Kakadu in the Wet (well next week)

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:17
ThreadID: 29447 Views:2123 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
People who love Kakadu - what to do in the wet?

Monday at 4AM I'm off to traverse the 3000K of bitumen from Adelaide to Bitumen with a crew of 5 Israelis. We will do the obligatory stop at the big rock protrusions of course, on the way.

So, who loves Kakadu in the wet, and what are the absolutely must see, must do things - be they muddy tracks, muddy walks, - well anything really.

I'm a photographer looking for places that look and are different.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tonysmc - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:44

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:44
Do you have a boat ? I think this is a must have for Gagudju in the wet. If you can give a few details on how you are travelling the site may have a few ideas. You will find ALOT a tracks will be closed at this time of year. ie jim jim and twin falls. I would do the east Alligator cruise if the road isn't closed as mangella creek mostly floods and you can't get to the east Alligator at this time of year. Take a flight over the place and also drop into fogg dam on the way past and do the walk. Go to litchfield park as it is easy to get around and Take plenty of repellant. I find bushmans the best and it smells nice as well. better than detol, baby oil, ect mix.
Cheers Tony.
AnswerID: 147071

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:56

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:56
perhaps we'll try and rent a boat - great suggestion. I had planned the flight and fogg dam.

When they close the tracks they are generally closed for good reason I assume?

Do the rangers still use the roads at all?

Thanks for the advice on bushman's.
I'll let you know what we did.

Ciao for now
Andrew.

FollowupID: 400503

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 15:36

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 15:36
Try here and of course depending which way you head in drop into the tourist info office in Katherine or Darwin just before heading in there for the lastest update. ( which are done daily). You will find that once a road is closed in Kakadu it will probably stay that way for the rest of the wet, except for the main highway. The resorts will also be able to give you the lastest printout of roads that are closed
http://www.deh.gov.au/parks/kakadu/visitorinfo/pubs/roadupd.doc
Tony
FollowupID: 400553

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:02

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:02
Andrew,

The roads and tracks may be closed. You will be restricted to bitumen roads anyway as most bush tracks will be impassable. If you do get on to dirt tracks may sure you have adquate recovery gear. Believe me......the mud can be bottomless.

It all depends on how much rain has fallen.

Normally the BIG rains come in February though and you may be lucky

If you can get out to East Alligator and Oberi Rock then you will have good photo opportunities but it does not take too much to get the Magella Creek crossing to flood. I believe that this road may be bitumen by now but still floods.

The back road into Kakadu from Darwin via Black Jungle and the South Alligator River may also be closed and as the area is well timbered it does not present many photo opportunites. You may still be able to get in to Kakadu from the south and the Rock Hole is a good place to cool off. Also try to get to Gunlom Falls which is spectacular when roaring over the escarpment.

Expect days of 35 degrees and 100% humidity.

Other places to visit are Katherine Gorge, Edith Falls, Fogg Dam and of course Litchfield NP.

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 147073

Sponsored Links