Camper Vans

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 03:35
ThreadID: 29451 Views:1392 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm coming to Australia soon and am planning on buying a camper to use as a primary car and somewhere to sleep as we travel round the country. I'm looking for something like a mid 1980's toyota hi ace, does any one have any advice as to where to look for one and what points to check when i find one. What things tend to go wrong with them? I'm flying into Sydney if that makes any difference. I'm looking at spending around A$5000. Also how does the registration, insurance and road worthy certificate work? I understand that you have to re register the vehicle in the state it is already registered in. Also, how do I transfer the paperwork into my name what paperwork should I expect to be given by the current owner?

Sorry about the many questions,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jarse - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 07:25

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 07:25
Hi Charlie,

You can start here Traveller's Auto Barn

The Hiace is a good choice. The company I was running back in the 80's ended up using them exclusively, after having reliability problems with Mitsubishi's and Holden(Isuzu's). In our experience, we had no problems at all in a fleet of 10 Hiaces.

If you purchase the vehicle in NSW you have to transfer the registration into your name. This involves a fee and Stamp Duty. When you purchase the vehicle, the seller should provide you with the registration paper and what is called a "pink slip". This is essentially a certificate of roadworthiness and is the seller's responsibility.

There is also what's called a "Green Slip", which is Third Party bodily injury insurance. This is compulsory, and is attached to the registered vehicle. It transfers automatically.

I would strongly recommend obtaining what's called "Third Party Property" insurance, as the Green slip only covers injuries. Without it, you will be financially responsible for any damage caused to property in an at-fault accident.

In summary, the seller should give you:

1. Bill of Sale;
2. Registration Certificate;
3. "Pink Slip" (Roadworthy)

For registration matters in NSW, try RTA of NSW
AnswerID: 147099

Reply By: gompy - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:48

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:48
Hi, a good place to buy is the carpark in Kings Cross, Sydney, near Fiztroy Gardens. This is a multi storage carpark, at the bottom level is a triving market where backpackers selling their cars before flying back home, you can get a bargain there! and of course lots of advice!
Good luck.
AnswerID: 147174

Reply By: minifreak - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 00:48

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 00:48
Thanks for your help, the website you gave for NSW is really useful.

Only 7 weeks to go!

AnswerID: 147531

Sponsored Links