Water Bubbles - 80 Series 4500

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 08:37
ThreadID: 29454 Views:1931 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Was wondering if any of you guys have suffered with coolant expansion like l am.

On any day (not hot etc) when l park up, the engine sounds like a coffee machine. Literally sounds like the coolant is bubling away really well. I took the (non pressurised) cap off the expansion bottle during this yesterday and was surprised to see it half full. Often there is also a hot smell (h'mm 'hot smell', that might be tricky to visualise!) too.
I'm not concerned so much that the coolant expands, but what about the air causing the bubbles. I know my valve clearances are on the very low side and new seats are required, but that wouldn't cause air in the coolant. A duff head gasket would though. There are none of the usual signs of a duff head gasket - smelly coolant, milky oil etc.

The temp gauge never goes above half way, even pulling hard uphill offroad.

Any thoughts what it might be, before l ditch the coolant and replace the presure cap too.

While l'm on the subject of the head, anybody know of a good outfit to refit and lap new lpg valve seats and valves near Eltham.
Only reco so far is Gown & Hindhaugh in Boxhill.

Cheers
Beast Of Bodmin

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:24

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:24
Head gasket, cracked head, hole in the block. Do they have cylinder sleeves in Yotas?
AnswerID: 147103

Reply By: Jarse - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:50

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:50
Leaking Welsh plug?
AnswerID: 147107

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:32

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:32
Morning Beast.

I had the exact same problem a number of times with a vehicle I bought new and still have. (Old Sedan now)

Took a long time to correctly diagnose the problem with a lot of experts running gas in the coolant tests, pressure leakage tests etc etc.

On every occassion it was a leaking head gasket, which was 'valving oneway'.

That meant the combustion gas was venting into the cooling system and not sucking the coolant back in.

Whatever, I would say you definitely have a combustion gas entering the water jacket problem somewhere.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 147117

Reply By: David from Engine Saver Low Water Alarms - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 13:26

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 13:26
Hi Bodmin.

Try a bottle of Chemiweld in the cooling system.

This product will permanantely seal any cracks or leaks in a cylinder head or gasket.

I have used it on 2 severley overheated engines in the past with 100% success.

I suppose if you are going for a cylinder head recon then it is a waste of time, but at around $12 a bottle it is a good investment and may prevent an overheat in the meantime.

All the best
Davy
AnswerID: 147154

Reply By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:46

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:46
G'day,

If it is 'gassing' (bubbles in expansion tank) it is, almost without doubt, the head gasket gone.

I would advise you to tear it down SOONEST or get someone to do it if your not mechanically minded.

This is your warning sign, failure to act now could mean a warped head from overheating, and a repair bill many times higher.

Rgds

Ron

AnswerID: 147328

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 19:45

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 19:45
Gday
A simple test can be made with a special radiator cap that checks for carbon monoxide....if u have that present, you have a leaking head gasket....probably wont get much change out of $800 for the head reco...they grind the ends of the valves to the high end of the clearances table....then you are looking at $450 for the gasket kit and $30 each head bolt (14) this is if you go Toyota....aftermarket is $250 gasket and $60 head bolts....i know because my motor started loosing water b4 it started on 5 cylinders...found no 1 plug wet and gasket gone...
One other thing it could be.....the gas converter could be leaking gas into the cooling system via te mixer.... Does the motor bubble running on petrol????
Andrew
AnswerID: 147461

Sponsored Links