Washing off Salt

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:06
ThreadID: 2947 Views:1685 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one tell me what is the best way to clean under side of 4wd after a beach run? At present I use a garden hose & very ocasionaly use "carlovers" hi presure hose. Would it be good to buy one my self?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:16

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:16
The benfits of car lovers are: a. open all hours b. water is recycled c. no mess to clean up d. they provide all cleaning materials (degreaser/detergent etc) e. avoid capital and running costs of a Karcher by spending a few bucks a visit. But then some people get off on owning their own regardless of how uneconomic or environmentally unfriendly it is.
AnswerID: 11251

Follow Up By: Plexus - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:47

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:47
Well, I own a Karcher, and yes it's a pain getting rid of all the muck from the driveway, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Carlovers would cost me $40 every time (too easy to rack up the minutes - by the time you've blasted every nook and cranny, just keep your eyes on the stopwatch) and at the rate I need to get mud or sand off, about once every week, I'd be mad to not have my own. Besides, the hoses at Carlovers definitely won't allow you to lie down underneath the drive shafts and blast all the underbody components.
FollowupID: 6195

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:54

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:54
Our local Carlovers gives us 24 minutes for $6.00. The hose will allow you to reach underneath and spray all the junk off.
We have two outlets one on each side of the river, and the one that gives the 24 minutes for $6.00 is better maintained and the gear always works and the premises clean. You don't have to guess which one does the most business.
FollowupID: 6196

Follow Up By: Plexus - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:03

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:03
That's a lot cheaper than my local place here in Sydney. It's $2 for a minute and a half, and the hoses definitely wouldn't reach.
FollowupID: 6197

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:14

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:14
Gee Bob, get stuck in why don't you! We have owned a high pressure cleaner for several years. You don't have to buy a Karcher...there are plenty of other much cheaper, lesser known brand high pressure cleaners around that do just a good a job.

Use is not limited to your car. You would probably be amazed how handy they are around the home/shed/boat etc.

As for environmentally unfriendly, I can't recall ever using chemicals to wash to mud, sand or salt off the underside of the car...just water. And we always park the car on the lawn whenever we wash it, with or without a high pressure cleaner.

Our cleaner also has a supa-fine high pressure nozzle which is very effective and would use far less water than a garden hose or sprinkler for the same running time, but then the high pressure is so much more effective we find we get the job done more quickly than we used to with a hose.
FollowupID: 6210

Follow Up By: Member - Tony - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 23:16

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 23:16
Totally agree with Michelle's post, and use mine the same way.

CarLovers??

There WAS one in Penrith, but they closed down. Only option was to buy my own Karcher, or drive to Blacktown (25mins) or somewhere else.

No thanks.

Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 6238

Reply By: StephenF - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:28

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:28
I've heard that running a garden sprinkler under the vehicle works. Move it around a bit and it should get to all the parts that the salt water got to.
Stephen.
AnswerID: 11257

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:49

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:49
I reckon a soaker hose is the best option. Lay it out, drive the vehicle over it and turn it on and leave it for an hour or more (do it on the grass so the water isn't wasted). Then once all the mud/sand is softened up you can use a normal pressure hose to was off any remaining gunk. That way your not pushing sand or grit past any seals with high pressure.
AnswerID: 11259

Reply By: ThePublican - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 17:06

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 17:06
For salt and sand low pressure is definitly preferable,no actual blasting salt and sand into nooks and crannies,lay out sprinkler and park,15/20 min per quarter of vehicle washes all the salt and sand away yet leaves your grease and seals ect intact. Karchers ect all have their uses on a vehicle but not on running gear.
AnswerID: 11289

Reply By: fatboy - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 22:32
Hi everyone , just a quick comment on these large car wash companies, My brother in law owned a pool maintenance company for several years and sold large quantities of swimming pool salt to several of these companies in his localities , apparently used to preserve the water quality in their holding tanks , maybe when washing at these places you are putting more salt on than you are taking off. Might not hurt to inquire at your local carlovers to see if this is a common practice.
AnswerID: 11308

Reply By: Mq Pete - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:17

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:17
After a run down the beach I have found it better to wait and not use high pressure washes like Carlovers and give the truck a real good go over at home. Lets face it a couple of hours aint going to make that much difference, but if you do half a job at a carwash with one eye on the timer, you not doing the job right. The only problem with this is if there is any moisture on the road on the way home as it turns the muck back to salt water once it has originally dried!
AnswerID: 11730

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 13:59

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 13:59
Living on Botany bay shores for 33yrs, Ive seen so many cars fall apart.,new people moving in with their expensive cages!!!!!

Soapy water breaks down salt. Doesnt have to be expensive stuff, just lots of it. Car lovers etc are also good and easy as you like!

Used to have to wash down after picking up loads of Sea Salt from ICI Botany.
AnswerID: 11754

Sponsored Links