Kooljaman at Cape Leveque

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:17
ThreadID: 29475 Views:2638 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone stayed at or got knowledge of Kooljaman. Facilities, staff, management, friendliness etc etc.

We are planning a trip to the area in the upcoming dry season and considering whether we stay at Leveque for just a few days or an extended period (up to a couple of weeks). Often, the pleasure of a longer stay is dictated by the people as much as the environment and facilities. Looking for any feedback anyone might have to help us plan this part of the trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:31

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:31
Stayed there in July 04, no problems at all, facilities very good. There are no other real options at the Cape other then One Arm Point. Went for a drive over there - really basic with little or no care being taken of the VERY limited facilities. I would not want to stay at One Arm Point.
AnswerID: 147214

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:34

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:34
We went to the Kimberley last year and had four nights at Cape Leveque. The facilities there were good and people were friendly and helpful. It gets booked out and the camping area seems pretty crowded.

We also stayed at Middle Lagoon for six nights and would have been happy to have stayed longer. The camping area was less crowded, facilities were not as comprehensive and people were helpful. Went crabbing there and it cost us $20 and at Cape Leveque it was $60 so didn't do it but I am sure it was more 'organised'.

We had a tinnie and had more fun with it at Middle Lagoon that we did at Cape Leveque. It depends what you are in to as to where you go. I reckon if we were doing it again we would stay ten days at Middle Lagoon and 2 at Cape Leveque though only if we were taking the boat. There is not alot to do there other than fish and swim and make sand castles with the kids. Cape Leveque has more to offer like trips and boat rides and walks and flights etc.

Andrew
AnswerID: 147215

Reply By: Member - Eric P (Int) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:18

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:18
Hi,

We stayed at Kooljaman for two days in August 2005.

Facilities are OK, staff more or less friendly, prices rather high (as far as I remember, 180 $ for a safari tent - it is really good, but after all not better than a cabin at a roadhouse where you pay 80$ - $ 60 for a standard tent).

The camp site is a bit crowdy, and you have definitely to book in advance.

The place itself is very very pleasant.

I share the opinion of other members: good for staying two days

Cheers

Eric
AnswerID: 147237

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:12

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:12
G"day Norm,

We were there Sept last year and enjoyed the experience. It is not overly large and I would imagine that it gets crowded in peak season. The facilities are good and they even have a place to eat - not bad for isolated camping in my books.

Anyway just to wet the appetaite have a look at this for a camp site,

Have a great trip.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 147336

Reply By: Blampied - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:59

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:59
g"day. We have been to kooljaman twice and are booked in again these july hol"s. We just love the joint, but there are somethings you should be aware of. It"s not cheap.We stay in the beach shelters on the eastern beach (which is also the swimming beach)and for your $70 a night you get a pine pole and thatched roof three sided shelter with a fresh water tap and shower, a wood fired bbq lots of privacy and a view to die for. The main camping site is on the western side of the hill and does get a bit crowded but overall numbers are managed strictly due to their waste management system. Unlike the eastern beach you cant have an open fire but bbq"s are supplied. In the main camping area however you do have 240v power and more showers (hot) and toilets.The main camping area is a lot cheaper(30/40$ a night i think) There's lots to do, or theres nothing to do but if your not into fishing limit your stay to just a few days of relaxation.The staff are great and will help with what they can(ie, organise boat hire fishing trips .tours crabbing etc) There is a reasonably priced restaurant/takeaway/shop.The road up to Cape Leveque can be a shocker so be warned.but it keeps the bloody caravans out.We keep going back there and even after an extended stay last year (10 days) we booked again this year(and it's a long drive from Perth.)BOOK NOW or you'll miss out. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 147587

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:31

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:31
Just booked today, Beach Shelter for 29/6-1/7, see you there!
FollowupID: 400923

Sponsored Links