LPG for Diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:39
ThreadID: 29476 Views:2099 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all .Does anyone on the forum have personal experience of a Diesel with the LPG injection kit fitted. I understand how the basics work but I would like to hear from someone who has one or knows of one.
Regards Ken.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bombsquad - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 19:32

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 19:32
I plan on fiting it within the next 6 months to my GU. I have rang 2 of the 'satisfied customers' listed on their web page and they seem very happy, but then again you would hardly list the names of unsatisfied customers would you. All af the research I have done are pointing towards a positive, but once again, it is hard to fing negatives when most of the information available is produced by the companies seling the product.

From this information, it would seem the lpg equates to fitting a long range tank, a power chip, turbo upgrade AND 15% reduced running costs, with a cleaner burn and reduced egt and engine temp! I have been quoted from $3850 to $5500 from what look to be the two most reputable looking companies I have found on the web.

I have asked of anyone on this forum has experience, but had no response. Hopefully you (we) will find someone this time, or I may end up the guiniepig!

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 147225

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:12

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:12
G'day Billowaggi,

The feb 06 issue of 4wd monthly has a complete story on that subject, they fitted and tested the LPG to the diesel troopy, nothing but positives according to the story.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 147231

Reply By: F4Phantom - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:32

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:32
hi billowaggi, I also contacted a seller of the product in Australia and feel is is an excellent idea. In terms of reliability over long term, i have one short story to help. A while ago my dad (from the netherlands) told me they used to convert diesel cars to LPG in holland. He did not know much about it. Because at the time I knew "so much more about cars than him" I said he had gotten his wires crossed and diesels cant run on LPG. he insisted that a guy in his town had been doing these conversions for many years. So i am assuming it is not a new thing but tried, tested and reliable, although in Australia it seems to have poped up quite recently.
AnswerID: 147301

Reply By: Billowaggi - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:05

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:05
Thanks for the replys , I am considering fitment to a naturally apirted [1HZ] Landcruiser HZJ79 trayback. I want to put in as large a gas tank as possible as most of my touring is in remote areas.The local agent [Perth] is a company called Lovato.I must try and get a copy of Feb 06 4WD monthly.
Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 147307

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:44

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:44
Good luch with it Ken, and please post your results (and also your fitting price if possible). I will hope to get it done about march-april, and will post my results as well.

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 400650

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:21

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:21
Hi Ken,

You won't need "as large a gas tank as possible".
You will need a gas tank that holds enough LPG that is equal to 30% the amount of diesel you vehicle carries.

The conversion does not make your diesel engine run solely on gas, it mixes about 30% gas with the diesel so the diesel will burn cleaner, cooler and more efficiently. It does this because the LPG is more volatile. I think most diesels have a burn rate of somewhere in the range of 70 - 80% of fuel in the combustion chamber, hence the black smoke (unburnt fuel) coming out of the exhaust. The diesel/gas conversion claims to increase the burn rate to 95 - 97%.

If your vehicle does happen to run out of gas, it will just continue to run on diesel as normal but with less power/economy again.

The whole thing makes sense to me and I am seriously considering converting my 80 series 1hz with aftermarket turbo. I have had many petrol/LPG vehicles and I love the way the engine oil stays clean between services. They claim that after the first couple of services that the diesels will do the same. That has to extend engine life no matter how you look at it.

Good luck with finding someone though who has already had the conversion.

I have so far only been able to find a conversion centre in Sydney and one in South Australia. Do you know if there are any others? Which one did you get the better price from?
As I am in central Queensland I would prefer to have someone a bit closer for warranty issues.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 400656

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:22

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:22
Hi Woody, the reason for the big gas tank is that on our outback trips we will be away from LPG availability for two or three tankfulls of diesel. With a big gas tank I can fill with Diesel two or three times without having to worry about gas availability and still use the mix.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 400860

Reply By: banjodog - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:03

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:03
Have you seen the prices of LPG lately? I saw a major fuel station on the Gold Coast on the weekend sell at 60.9c/L - a month or so ago the same station was selling at 39.9c/L - and it was at that price for a long time even when ULP and diesel were going up in great jumps.

Is the price rise because of the Christmas period and then go back down or just the trend to slowly raise LPG prices as more people start to use it? A supply and demand issue basically.

I personally would opt for a larger auxilary fuel tank and carry more diesel - cheaper to install.

But each to their own.

AnswerID: 147357

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:26

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:26
Its not just range I am after, this conversion will give me 20% more power and up to 30% better economy also a much cleaner running engine.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 400862

Follow Up By: banjodog - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:19
Ah, you got me there.
FollowupID: 400885

Reply By: smithie - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:03

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:03
check out ih8mud.com and do a search for "propane injection" in the international or 70/75 series section. One of the guys on there has done a full tech writeup on his install.
cheers, Daniel
AnswerID: 147994

Sponsored Links