Charging duel batteries

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:40
ThreadID: 29477 Views:2519 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just after some advice on charging my aux battery in my patrol, i have a ARB dual battery system with smart solenoid and my aux battery is a delkor m27. I have just purchased a Honda 10ui generator and a projecta 3 stage 15amp charger.
My plans are to run my 80L engel fridge during the day on the battery and when running my gen at night for lights etc i will plug my battery charger in and charge the aux battery. What is the best way to do this or is it as straight forward as clipping the charger straight onto the battery and turning on the power. Will this effect the smart solenoid and will it charge the main battery as well.
Can someone please advise the best practice as i am going to coffin bay soon on our annual boys fishing trip (salmon fest.)
Thanking you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 18:00

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 18:00
Well the genny wont recharge the aux battery in 3 hrs what the days running took out of it I reckon but for a week or so it would be OK. The smart solenoid should be set up to monitor the starting battery volts so if you connect to the aux batt it would only charge that once it opens off. Thats your best bet anyways, as you could charge the starting one first and then run the other down of you connect to it with the charger.

Hope thats making sense
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 147217

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 19:42

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 19:42
No adverse reaction required on the merits of gennie vs solar ect ,in my experience you would probably be better off running your gennie during the day ,fridge on 240v and aux batt being charged while driving /and or thru batt charger , starting each night with a fully charged batt such as the M27 to run 80lt of cold Engle and a few 12v lights , better for the batt and night time quiet ,,,,as for which batt to connect charger to ,would suggest to main,as when fully charged solenoid opens and aux then receives charge.
AnswerID: 147227

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:01

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:01
Have you concidered, (unfortunately) using your generator at night to run the fridge & lights from the 12v socket, while you use the battery charger on 240v to recharge the 80 A/h Aux battery?

I would connect the battery charger direct to the Delkor battery, it would not charge your Start battery as the Solenoid would be open (Start not connected to Aux) at night, and even if it was, indicating the Start battery is allready fully charged, then it would not matter anyway, at least charging direct the Aux direct you know the Aux 'should' get fully charged.
If you connect the generator to the Aux battery system soon as possible after arriving back from a drive, the Start battery, should be, fully charged and won't need further charging it will also be still connected direct to the Aux battery, because the Solenoid drops out at a set low voltage disconnect, so the two batteries will charge as one large battery as they will be still connected together by the Solinoid, it will take longer to FULLY charge the Aux battery this way. A manual setting Circuit breaker in the (+) cable will eliminate this problem for you, about $39.
AnswerID: 147432

Reply By: pac374 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:17

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:17
thanks mainey for the good advice
you are right i charged the battery the other day for a test and it did try to charge both batteries as one big battery so buy putting a circuit breaker in will do the job perfectly.
And i know the big debate about running generators at night and annoying everyone, but where i am going there wont be anyone else around the campsite for kms, except for my drunken mates that called themselves fisherman, so that issue isnt relevant.
This is my first time using the forum and thank the three guys that got back to me.
check ya later

gone fishin
AnswerID: 147518

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:01

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:01
"Charging Duel Batteries" (Thread title)
Thems fightin' words.

Bob
AnswerID: 147541

Follow Up By: pac374 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:42

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:42
Why do you say that bob????
FollowupID: 400904

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:38

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:38
Duel: n.
1 A prearranged combat
2 A conflict between two persons or parties.

Collins concise dictionary.

Regards
Bob
FollowupID: 400916

Follow Up By: pac374 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:55
Sorry about the mistake bob
Didnt know it was a spelling bee
Thanks for the correction anyway?
Alls good
pac
FollowupID: 401003