more on outdoor showers

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:54
ThreadID: 29484 Views:4908 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
i have an idea for my 12 volt shower and want to know if it is fessable or not, taking one of those 12 volt jump packs and having one of them supercheap solar panels pluged into it, as there is only two of us and we only use it a few times day.
any thoughts please.and i just heat my water in one of them solar shower bags and mix it with the other water in a twenty ltr
peter d
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: darcla - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:25

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:25
Hi Peter d, We have been camping out bush for many years , we have a 20 l canvas bag with a shower rose attached to the bottom a rope tied to the top , an 8 inch cresent spanner tied to the rope throw it over the limb of a tree Put a billy full of water at the required temp pull up to a bit over head height . Get wet stop water, soap up rinse of . Plenty of water for 2 people to have good clean up. Bought shower at a camping store in Geraldton W.A . hope this is of some help . Canvas bag folds down flat dries out over night takes up very little room.
Cheers Bungarra
AnswerID: 147261

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:18

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:18
And I thought we must be the last people left showering like that :-)
After trying all sorts of ways the good old canvas bag is perfect and simple. Works everytime without 12 volt and noisy pumps.
cheers
Reiner
FollowupID: 400664

Follow Up By: greydemon - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:15

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:15
I'll sign up for this club. We are a family of five and the other four are female so showering is a high priority for them. I like the sound of the garden spray below but doubt that it would cope with getting shampoo out of long hair as well as the old canvas version. I got mine from Ranger camping. No moving parts, just the billy on the fire. When there is no tree available (often the case in desert parts of WA ) I use a tent pole fixed to the roof rack.

As I wrote this I was thinking that the only problem is heating enough water for five people, I have just decided on family trips to dedicate one of my metal jerry cans to showering - just stand it in the fire WITH THE TOP OPEN! It will look a mess but should do the job.
FollowupID: 400718

Follow Up By: flappa - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:33

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:33
The bigger the family , the better the vehicle showers look . . . trust me.

6 in our family , with just 2 females.

I have tried most of the showers going and made a few of my own , and the biggest PITA is getting enough of the hot/warm stuff at a convenient rate.

Fires aren't always allowed . . . my vehicle shower I can shower anywhere , anytime , just chuck a hose in the river.
FollowupID: 400721

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:09

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:09
My advice the simpler the better. Why do you need a Jump pack when you have a cigerette liter socket in your 4WD?
AnswerID: 147278

Reply By: bombsquad - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:41

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:41
I bought a cheap crappy jump pac that probably wouldnt start a 250cc motorbike. I love it. I use it for my spotlight, camping fluro, shower pump, gps when I'm in my 12'tinny, 12 volt pump for airbeds/inflateable pool for the kids, and on my compressor. I just treat it as a disposable item, or rechargeable battery. It would have saved me 3 times the purchase price in alkaline batteries so far, along with the convienience factor.

I haven't really needed a solar panell for it, although it has ran out a few times. It is 18 months old and still going, although its a bit harder to charge now. I went against the manufactures warnings and use a std 4 amp charger (for about half an hour) now, as the little chargers that come with it take forever now. I would even consider a couple more rather than the expense of the solar panel.

I love the portability of my little unit, even just as a rechargeable fluro light, and for $30.00 you cant go wrong.

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 147310

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:15

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:15
They will certainly power a shower easily.

As for recharge ? . . . I dont know I would bother with solar for this. The Battery will last quite some time.

Probably just recharging using the 12v cable into the ciggie plug when going for a drive will top it up enough.

I would try it first before outlaying the $$$ on a Solar Panel . . . they aren't that cheap or good.
AnswerID: 147337

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:59

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:59
I used to use electric shower. The 7Ah batteries (same size as you get in the smallest jump pack) would power it for a long, long time - to recharge it, I'd plug it into the car when on the road. Got sick of the motors drowning and rusting out.

These days we are a convert for the 5 litre spray pumps that you use for fertilizer or pesticides. Just heat up a billy of water and tip it in with 2 billies of cold. Then pressurise it, and you're away. You can have a very good shower with only 1.5 litres of water - its great for the desert, and tehres no electronic stuff or solar showers to bother with.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 147349

Follow Up By: Inland Sailor - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:53

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:53
I agree!! A cheap 5 or 7 Li sprayer kit found in any gardening/ nursery supplies section at Bunnings/Target/KMart/Big W does the job for about $!0. I have cut the wand right down to so it more like a hand held shower and replaced the original 1m long piece of tube with a longer 1.5m plastic tube [$1.00] to give more manoeuvrability.The 1 hot to 2 cold seems about the right ratio.
7Lts gives about two 5 min showers. As the pressure drops,just a couple of pumps returns it to full strenght
FollowupID: 400688

Reply By: obone - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:24

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:24
Hi Peter, I've been using the same idea (minus the solar panel) for some time now and find it works well. The jump starter battery lasts for heaps of showers. I charge the battery from the cigarette lighter in the car. Running the shower pump directly from the cigarette lighter is an option but you don't or can't always have your vehicle parked next to your shower tent
Regards
Obone
AnswerID: 147352

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:16

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:16
Make an extnsion lead. I made a heavy duty 10 meter lead on which I fixed one of those DSE plastic boxes. The box houses a cig plug an on/of switch, fuse and an ammeter. I use this all the time to run the shower and I like the ammeter because I can read the power consumption - I use it to check everything I would plug into a cig plug, that way no nasty surprises.

Kind regards

PS erect the shower tent pretty well anywhere.
FollowupID: 400680

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:47

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:47
Read the other day that the MD of Super Cheap has pulled the pin.
AnswerID: 147356

Reply By: peter d - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:17

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:17
thank you everyone for all your replys, they are all very helpful and good ideas, thanks again. happy camping
peter d
AnswerID: 147483

Sponsored Links