Dust Problems

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 01:11
ThreadID: 29490 Views:1468 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have 2005 hilux SR dual cab with tonneau cover over the well tray and it suckes in dust big time any suggestions a mate suggested to put a vent in the tray behind the cab rather than trying to seal arround the tail gate as the shape of the tail gate would not be easy to seal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: simple - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:27

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:27
pressurising it would work, but it'd be hard cos i don't think you'd get enough air flow behind the cabin.
lots of people on here have tried sealing their utes, jujst wait and see what they say...
AnswerID: 147374

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:13

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:13
To pressurise the tray, use some plumbers white pvc pipe and a normal snorkle head which sticks out above the cabin. You might have to make a hole in the tonneau cover for the pipe. Any upholsterer should be able to help you. I have seen such a vent on a trailer and according to the owner it worked well.
AnswerID: 147504

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:53

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:53
i'd get used to it...... My Rodeo always sucked in the dust. If it didn't then I would think something was wrong!!

Leroy
AnswerID: 147510

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:24

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:24
wepn, I have an 05 'Lux with a Carryboy canopy. I've just about solved the dust problem. I suspect with your cover, the main entry point is around the tail gate. If you look closely, there are large gaps at the bottom and both sides.

I put some self adhesive foam along the bottom. It is about 25mm wide and 6 mm or so thick. I stuck it on the bottom of the tail gate so it seals against the tub. Forms a tight seal (initially made the tail gate a bit firmer to close, but I don't notice the difference now it has settled in). At the sides, I got some rubber seals. I got offcuts from Carryboy when I had the canopy installed, but it should be readily available. A bit hard to describe, but I'll try. Overall, about about 30 mm x 6 or 8mm x whatever length it is cut to. One of the 6mm edges has a deep groove in it which is wire re- enforced (inside the rubber). This groove fits nicely (very tight) over the edge of the tray where the tail gate closes. The rest of the seal is hollow and is quite pliable. The tailgate closes firmly against this and forms a good seal. Sorry, I don't know what the stuff is called, but you should be able to get it from a motor trimmer or similar (or try Carryboy).

You will still probably get a bit of dust in where the cover meets the tub sides, but at least 90 % will be stopped. That is my experience with the canopy anyway.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 147521

Sponsored Links