Doing first trip in the 2.8 patrol soon

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 06:13
ThreadID: 29491 Views:2053 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hello everyone

soon myself and my partner will be trecking from Kalgoorlie to perth, then from perth to shark's bay for a night or two,then on to coral bay!

I was thinking about buying a big esky for putting the fish in, but might hire a portable fridge!

Can anyone who has done this sought of trip before give us tips on what to take eg: spares etc, fishing gea, where to stop along the way! We would like to catch a couple of mud crabs to bring home aswell just for the experience.

We have never done a trip like this before and we are looking forward to getting away for a couple of weeks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 13:47

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 13:47
G'day Blackwrx,

"I was thinking about buying a big esky for putting the fish in, but might hire a portable fridge! "

Mate is that optimistic or what! LMAO

Sounds like a good trip mate, hope you have a great time, and remember to show her a couple of comp videos before you go, so she knows the full duties of a 'navigator' when you get bogged!

Avagoodn
Pezza

AnswerID: 147396

Reply By: blackwrx - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:00

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:00
the plan was not to get bogged!

well we will see how it all goes.
AnswerID: 147481

Follow Up By: Nav 8 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:25

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:25
Mate, If you do any sand driveing let us know how the 2.8 performed.Had one myself for a few years but found it a poor performer at the bottom end of the torque scale especialy in sand. Appart from that a great vehicle,have a great trip.
Regards Nav (Ex Kal)
FollowupID: 400831

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:38

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:38
G'day mate,
Forgive me if I come across as being a bit of a smart @rse.......but reading between the lines, I get the impression this might be your first "adventure" of an off-road or touring type nature?
Nothing wrong with that; we all started somewhere and you're in good company on this forum.
You've certainly got the right basic idea, but there are just sooooooooo many questions and aspects you need to consider.
Firstly, let me get the question you raised out of the way. Whether you choose to use a esky or a fridge will largely depend on where you intend going in relation to what services will be available. If you're going to be sticking to roads/towns where ice will be available at least every 2nd day, then an esky may well be all that you'll need. If, however, you intend getting off the road a bit and being self-sufficient, then a fridge would be the go.
Now, if the latter, how big is the limit on your credit card? (don't answer that!!!)
If you think this will be a one-off type trip then there's no point buying a fridge; as you say, you'd be just as well off to hire one for the couple of weeks you'll be away. However, check out the Trader section on here.....there are some good fridges available and I'd be looking seriously at that Evakool 50 litre jobbie if I needed one right now.
Then you've got the "power" business....if you get a fridge (cos you're gunna be away from it all for several days, remember? haha), then you're gunna need a dual battery system at the least and maybe either a solar or gennie system to keep charged up.....but really you won't need those last 2 things...the extra battery will do, so long as you're driving a few hours every day.
Now, do you have a cargo barrier? Every wagon should be made to have one fitted for reasons that I hope are obvious!!
I'm gunna stop now, before I scare the pants off you and you decide to saty home and play chess instead of going on your trip.
Have a great time and i hope you catch plenty of fish and as many crabs as you can handle.....
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 147490

Sponsored Links