New navara suspension

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:31
ThreadID: 29504 Views:1490 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Took delivery of a new diesel Navarra (ST-X) before Xmas and have to say it is a very impressive package. Despite concerns the 2.5 diesel is a beauty - heaps of grunt and pulled a 2.5 ton van with ease. However.... rear end needs some help. With van hooked up the back end needs lifting 3 inches or so to ride level, the ramp over angle is b'''''''y awful, and like all utes itis skittery on dirt roads. So I want to prevent rear end dropping with 250 kg ball weight, be able to lift said rear end a few inches, but only when 4WDing, and need to dampen the live axle a bit. What do the experts suggest?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TOB - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 19:08

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 19:08
get the ironman over riders. they cost about $100-00 at repco and work a treat. i hace them on my 2004 navara dc. they take 15 mnutes to put on and are a cheap way to fix the problem but putting better shocks on would be money well spent as well.
AnswerID: 147457

Reply By: avro - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:30

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:30
The only answer to this issue of returning vehicle to level with a caravan attached is a Hayman Reece weight distribution system. This returns the weight to the front wheels that has been removed by the ball weight acting on the fulcrum of the back axle. Strenghening the back suspension will raise the rear, but it wont return the weight to the front wheels that the ball weight took away. Since your steering and most of your braking happen at the front wheels you cannot afford to lose any weight off the front wheels. Think of it like a wheelbarrow and pushing down on the handles. Strenghening the back legs will do nothing to stop the front wheel coming off the ground.

By all means strenghen the rear suspension if you need to for load carrying in the ute, but it's not the answer for ball weight.
Hope this helps avro
AnswerID: 147509

Follow Up By: apwaddo - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:22

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:22
Thanks for that but I have Hayman Reece WDS fitted already and its not enough
FollowupID: 400886

Reply By: beachbum - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:55
apwaddo I drive a GU Patrol cab Chassis and had similar problem. Fitted Dobinson springs and shocks and Polyairs and end of probs you describe. I have just concluded a 25,000 k trip around Aust with a caravan on the back and no probs. Depending on load I raise or lower the pressure in the poly airs. Not lower than 10psi when empty and no higher than 28psi fully loaded. 28psi gives me a lift of 50 mils at my tow bar and of course I use load bars when towing. Hope this helps and in my case it has been done and is not supposition as with a lot of replies on this forum. Enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 147631

Sponsored Links