Not 4WD related AT ALL....but...

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 15:04
ThreadID: 29505 Views:2133 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all,

I got roped into one of those hard sell things for Accor hotels tonight (in return for 4 unlimited Lunar Park passes - not too bad a deal).

Does anyone know what we should expect from it all? I'm thinking it will be akin to one of those born-again revival meetings, with all sorts of people shouting "haleleujah", and "praise to Accor hotels", but some first-hand knowledge would be pretty sweet...... I know not to sign anything, so no worries there.

Thanks in advance,

Chump
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 15:54

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 15:54
Hi again Chumpboy.
I went to something like that years ago in Melbourne, turned out to be a Life Insurance session to entice more mugs into the industry. It really was like born again "praise be to whoever" garbage complete with successful sales staff preaching from a lectern!
I couldn't believe I'd been sucked in by some smooth talking git and never went near him again for advice.
Go anyway,you may enjoy it!
Aan.
AnswerID: 147419

Reply By: SteveL - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:23

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:23
90 minutes of relentless hard sell of a time share resort, at a guess- Steve
AnswerID: 147423

Reply By: Member - Shawsie (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:35

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:35
Hi Chump_boy, we went to something like this here in Brizzy and again in Florida (Hmph!). Probably a timeshare deal so mark my words "JUST SAY NO, CANT AFFORD IT!" LOL. They'll make it soooooooo easy for you to put your money down, but make sure you stick to your guns however, they won't like it, but you're there for the free stuff right! remember that and you'll come away with your free passes and have a great time ;o)
AnswerID: 147425

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:49

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:49
Glad its you and not me.
Just dont give them any financial info about you and yours. Keep your replies to a minimum, what they look for is words to play with.

Happened to me years ago, they said if i attend the seminar, I'd get a 3 day all expenses paid holiday in a 4 star hotel, so I took the offer up. Was there for 55 minutes and when the presentation finished the exit doors were closed. Thats when the hard sell started. It got to the point where 4 of them surrounded me trying to convince me to sign up. Being a mild mannered boy back then, i didnt want no trouble so i asked one if i could borrow his phone, he obliged, so i dialed 000 once they knew who i called, they opened the door and I headed home, and yes i gave his phone back.

The holiday was fantastic, met a very nice room cleaner too, she was well worth the trip alone. :-)
AnswerID: 147442

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:24

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:24
I am ashamed of you, Son LOL

PS: Is the room cleaner still around?
FollowupID: 400830

Reply By: chump_boy - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:22

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:22
Yay! I survived....

It was some pyramid scheme time share thing - very dodgey...

They were a holiday club, basically a time share scheme in a few resorts. You basically buy into it (at around $40,000 including interest over 7 or 10 years), and are allocated a number of points each year. The points are redeemable at a number of different resorts. $40,000 buys you 14-28 days per year accomodation for the next 75 years.

They tried all this complicated budgeting, projecting 75 years into the future (i kid you not!), but twisted all the numbers to suit their argument. If we were to believe them, in 75 years time my current salary would be the same as what I am earning now, but holiday accomodation would have risen 5% per year in price!

What they didn't tell us was the maintenance fee per year (around $650) will raise by either the cpi. or 5%, which ever is larger. That would be $25,000 per year at the end! WTF? And the whole scheme is dependant on new people joining. And the leases on some of their holiday properties run out in the next few weeks. And their profit and loss statements list rental properties (that they pay money to rent) as assets!

And the whole thing is backed by some property development firm in Melbourne.

I had pictures in my mind of being on A Current Affair in years to come, explaining my story so other people would not be duped!

Oh well, I now know what used car salesmen do before they make the leap into politics....... they sell timeshare!...lol... Still, the kids will enjoy the Lunar Park passes.

Cheers,

Chump
AnswerID: 147537

Sponsored Links