Cant wait to go back to Work

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:01
ThreadID: 29531 Views:2167 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Well it was meant to be a straightforward trip to Poison Creek and thomas River for a spot of fishing but somehow I managed to
- lose my cig lighter so it was left to bread and tinned salmon tather than T bone
- Get 2 flats (changing tyres on the beach reeeely sucks)
- Bogged on the beach with waves sucking me down to the sideboards and sitting me on the diffs while i was trying to get more air out
- Lost the jack board and 2 d shackles in the recovery all sucked down by the sand
- Got pulled out by a patrol
- Busted an exaust mount
- blew the rear pinion seal and had to top the diff up a few times on the way back
- only caught a few fish
Yep looking forward to going back and paying for the "quick fishing trip"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:08

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:08
Mate, what an adventure! Get the impression that you don't lead life by halves - if your not running low on fuel in the desert your getting sucked into the beach. I'm just envious. How's the cyclone affecting you?

Kind regards
AnswerID: 147562

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:18

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:18
Not yet but it looks like we only get a bit of rain out of it. It wasnt overly powerfull as it didnt continue to intensify as they usually do before making landfall. The Bom site indicated it crossed the coast around midnight.
The cyclones really need to be full strenght and cross the coast a bit lower - more Onslo/Exmouth for us to get the sort of rains that fill things back up
Bobby (95) and Vance (99) were 2 such cyclones
FollowupID: 400911

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:49

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:49
yeah, i'm yet to raise my brother up there but they've probably all got headaches from donger jumping to the next fridge. :)
FollowupID: 400913

Reply By: Bros 1 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:54

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:54
Davoe,
The absolute pits would have been getting pulled out by a pi##y nissan.
Plenty of adventure when you are out and about. No doubt you enjoyed yourself.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 147571

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:24

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:24
Don't worry Bros we enjoy doing that. BTW you might get a chance to reciprocate if you're at Cape Melville in Sept. Mind you, my mate with a Rodeo may need more assistance than me.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 400915

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:44

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:44
Hi there Davoe, sounds like it would have been cheaper to go to your local co-op for some fish, and it would have been cooked for you if wanted seen as you didnt have your ciggi lighter with you to light the fire.Yeah I know about the rear seal on the diff My'n just went as well front and back, cant complain though its done 280k and never been touched bar oil changes, yep glad to get back to work to pay for the repairs.At least it kept your addrenalin (hope spelt write) pumping. Take Care regards Vitara
AnswerID: 147583

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:05

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:05
always said the cheapest way to get fish isnt to go fishing - but thats not the point. Pinion seal was annoying as it had no leaks previosly and it was an absalute bleep er with oil coating the whole rear underneath. At first I was worried as i grounded it out a few times rounding headlands and fording rockpools between bays with the tyres aired down but it looks like just the seal.
The bogging was the most annoying as it wouldnt have happened if i had aired down properly at the start. The beach was far softer than my last trip along it but it started firm. I came to a really flat section where the waves were coming right in with a soft section right up next to the dunes. I went to skirt around the soft section taking the sea side but started going down. i quickly jumped out to air down put 2 consecutive waves came in and dug me straight down. I attacked it with the hilift to try and get the diffs up but ended up losing the jacking board. Luckily we dont get the big tides down south here so the worst damage was some salt water dousing
FollowupID: 400919

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:01
Looks like you are still on the steep learning curve, Davoe, me lad

Never mind, we all made mistakes when we were young 'uns.
AnswerID: 147623

Reply By: paulr - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:26

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:26
Poison Creek, Cape Arid............all excellent parts of WA and almost good enough to get stuck in!
Heading down that way again early next week..........Israelite Bay, beach run to Pt Culver and back to Perth via Balladonia; how are the roads following recent rains? I notice on the road report that the majority of tracks in the area are listed as "caution".
AnswerID: 147627

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:51

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:51
the rain reports on the country hour suggest this area to the east of where I was copped 1-2 inches Sunday night combine this with expected heavy rains working their way south from Claire and i would really suggest you watch the forcast and get up to date info before you leave as well as having a contingency plan for something les grand - sorry but my best advice would be extreme caution
FollowupID: 400968

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:15
Israelite Bay, beach run to Pt Culver

Hope you don't mind a few scratches as when we passed that way in June it was very overgrown for the first 45km. After that should be safe to get on to the beach.
FollowupID: 401006

Follow Up By: paulr - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:06

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:06
Davoe, cheers for the advice...............the weather sure has been unpredictable and "Plan B" may become the only option. Those low lying areas sure can hold water, sometimes taking months to dry.
Between BOM and CALM I'll keep tabs with a more "subdued" southern coastal trip the alternate option.
Best regards,
FollowupID: 401051

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:23

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:23
Gee Davoe - it looks like you got "Murphy" away from me for a day. Trouble is he's back bothering me again.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 147708

Sponsored Links