Question for Oziexplorer

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:51
ThreadID: 2954 Views:1338 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Ozi,

Your comments on the other thread about digital maps got me thinking.

I didn't want to hijack ROX's thread so I started a new one.

I am interested in upgrading from my laptop to an IPAQ and I was just wondering what model you are using, what is your mapping software, and what scales are available??

As I said in the other thread, I believe stronglyin the basics, but that doesn't stop me from playing round with the latest tech stuff :):)

DennisN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:12

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:12
Dennis the iPaq models 3600, 3800 and 3900 are all suitable.
The software I use is OziExplorerCE www.oziexplorer.com
The range of maps depends on the State and the availability of digital maps.
Queensland - Disgusting - don't even talk to us.
N.S.W. - some very reasonable stuff, some overpriced
Victoria - excellent range
South Australia - overpriced, especially for quality
Western Australia - fairly reasonable
Tasmania - as always totally backward and completely unaffordable.
Northern Terratory - never had a lot to do with them.
NatMap/Auslig $99.00 for 250K for all of Australia. The new ver. 3.0 is a vast improvement in all areas.
http://www.auslig.gov.au/mapping/index/
My personal preference is quality detailed 1:100,000
You can also scan maps and calibrate them in the desktop version of OziExplorer and use on your CE/iPaq.

Why an iPaq in particular, well the price of accessories in some cases is a like a 1/6th of the price of other brands, it has a fully compliant serial port which some brands don't have or have no serial port at all. There are a multitude more reasons, but the main thing is the screen quality. The iPaq screen can be seen under *all* light conditions even bright sunlight. If you buy an iPaq second hand, get some advice from a long time iPaq user.
AnswerID: 11267

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 15:57

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 15:57
Thanks mate. Some food for thought there.

Auslig version 3 eh???

Hmmmm - sort of makes my version 1.0 seem a bit "steam driven" these days. :) :)

it still works OK but I will have to consider upgrading it as well.

I don't think I would buy a second hand iPaq - the older I get the more I spoil myself rotten. It has to be new. :)

Enjoy the bush.

DennisN
FollowupID: 6218

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 16:46

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 16:46
Dennis, yep, I like new too.
Harris Technology have the 3870 models for $849.00. Sure, this is a previous model, but will do everything admirably you want to. You can get a GPS mouse with 12volt power pack to power the iPaq and the GPS mouse which fits onto the window for $220. Now while a GPS cable for the iPaq is $45.00 and a 12v power adaptor on its own is $65.00, a NULL modem adaptor is $14.00 and you still need a cable for your present GPS which you may have, it makes the complete thing with GPS for $220 a steal. The GPS part is small and sticks on the windscreen inside.
http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:D1796#Tof

To be realistic you will also need the GPS sleeve which is $75.00 and a 64Mb or preferably 128Mb compact flash. Prices for compact flash here:
http://zxpro.com/ (good quality, good service, great prices)
FollowupID: 6220

Sponsored Links