Deflated bags

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:47
ThreadID: 29546 Views:1579 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I had some Firestone Coilrite Airbags installed in my 100 series Landcruiser 12 months ago, I can only assume they were fitted properly as I got TJM to install them for me.
For 12 months they had 5psi in them as I haven't towed the Caravan for that long
Over Christmas we went Caravaning and I inflated the Airbags to 15psi (half their capasity)

The problem is they both went completely flat before we had even travelled 200k
Does anyone have any idea why this would happen??

Regards
japmel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:14

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:14
I've got the same ones in the patrol, and was emphatically told to fully inflate (ie, 30psi), then load, then deflate to level ride. From the sound of it, for both of them to go flat at the same time, you have pinched the bags, causing a puncture.Have you tried to inflate them since you got back from your last trip? If not, do so and get someone to listen for escaping air.

rick.
AnswerID: 147682

Follow Up By: japmel - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:30
Rick,

Yep I fully inflated them before I put the Caravan on then deflated them till I was happy with the level (checked 15psi).

They maintained 5psi for 12 months without being pinched so thanks for the reply but I don't think that is the problem.

Yes I have inflated them since I came Home and yes they went down very slowly, too slow to hear any air escaping from them.

Any Ideas
Thanks
Regards
japmel
FollowupID: 401009

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 23:06

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 23:06
Hi japmel,

If its leaking that slow, I doubt its a cut airbag. Most likley one of the airline compression fittings is leaking. Pump them up to say 35psi and put soapy water on all fittings and see if you can see where the leak is. Don't forget to check the valves themselves for leaks.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 147696

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:48

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:48
I had the same problem with one of mine, then after I replaced my shocks and springs the other one did the same thing so I had to fix that too. I found it was a dogdy installation that caused mine to go wrong. I would have hit the wnker but it was me who installed them, so I guess I'll just have to deal with that!! LOL.

Mine were leaking in the brass fitting in the bottom of the air bags themselves. What I did was take the spring out, remove the air bag and pull the air line with a pair of pliers. You'll find that the airline doesn't normally come out, the whole friggin brass fittings does!! If the air line comes out, no worries, just get the pliers onto the brass fitting it'self and pull that out. Then get some epoxy (arildite or whatever) and mix it up and put it all around the fitting and the inside of the bottom of the bag where it slots into, then insert the fitting and let it set for 5 min. Then if the hose came out, just click that back in, whack the bag and spring back in and HEY PRESTO! Your problem with most likely be solved!

This method seems to hold up well, I've done many of k's of some pretty harsh fully loaded off road and corrugation driving with the air bags at 35psi since I fixed them and they are holding on so far.
FollowupID: 401101

Reply By: 120scruiser - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:14
I bought a set for my prado 6 months ago and have had both replaced under warranty.
Both leaked around the brass fitting.
I am wondering if there has been a bad batch come out.
To remove the line you have to push the spring loaded brass fitting down towards the bag and then remove the line. By pulling at it all you will do is rip it out and damage the bag.
Cheers
120scruiser
AnswerID: 147846

Reply By: japmel - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:28
Thanks for all the great advice. I'll have a go at getting them out of the springs and submerge them in water to see where they are leaking. Soapy water didn't work.
Hopefully it will be something easy to fix.

Many thanks
japmel
AnswerID: 147873

Sponsored Links