1st 4wd trip in Dargo area

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:24
ThreadID: 29550 Views:4858 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I think that this site is fantastic and yes we are joining to become members.

We are looking to do our 1st 4wd trip with 2 young kids around the Dargo/Licola area in March. We are in a Nissan Pathfinder and towing a campomatic - 4wd camper.

Can anyone suggest a fun route that our camper will handle. Also a good camping spot close by to the 4wd route/trek by the river. We only want to do a short 4wd trip with the kids for the 1st time.

Where is a good meeting spot to meet up with friends to start our trip? I believe that there is no mobile phone reception and we are meeting people from NSWso we need a designated easy land mark or something in the area to meet at.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:19

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:19
Its not so much what your camper or car can handle, what esxperience do you have offroad? There are some very steep tracks out that way, which if we should not be attempted by novices.

What recovery gear do you have?
What recovery points does your rig have?
Do you have a UHF if you get into bleep ?

A good place to meet good people? Try here.

We actually run a New Members/Novice trip for people to get used to their cars which helps out greatly.

You are shown how to use recovery gear correctly and MUCH more..

Worth considering.
AnswerID: 147707

Follow Up By: Jarrotts - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:30

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:30
No we dont have a UHF or recovery gear and this is why we are doing a safe 4wd trip with another couple. No we dont have a UHF either. We are in the process of joining a 4wd club on the Mornington Peninsula but we have only just made enquiries this week.

We only want to do an easy and very short 4wd trip 1st time round.

Thanks for your advice.
FollowupID: 401027

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:40

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:40
You must get yourself some recovery gear first at least. Plus make sure you have recovery points on your truck. Dont take someones word for it, get them checked.

You need at least 2 RATED shackles, and 1 Snatch Strap, plus 1 front and 1 rear recovery point. That way if anything happens, someone can at least assist you.

Go see Alan at Outback Accessories Wells rd Seaford, he did a lot of work on my truck over the years, and would not hesitate to recommend him and his work.

If you want an easy trip, you should do the high country. Grab the map High Country Huts I think it is, and just follow it round. There are some small challenges along the way depending on the weather, and is camper trailer friendly. Easily done in 2 days or even easier if you head up Friday Night camp adn start 10am next morning

Plenty to see, and will give you great confidence and experience. I run that as as Novice trip for the club.

I might even be keen to tag along, love it up there. Im only in Langwarrin.
FollowupID: 401028

Follow Up By: Jarrotts - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:59

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:59
We will get vehicle checked. I cant seem to get onto your link for your club. Is it the Nissan club? Your welcome to come along. We are wanting to meet people to go places and enjoy the outdoors. You just have to put up with the kids, the nagging wife, and the husband who just wants some peace and quiet. Im the wife.!!

We have great fun on our camping trips and our kids are great and love camping. Its more the camping than the 4wd that we are wanting.
FollowupID: 401029

Follow Up By: madcow - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:54

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:54
Truckster's right. You should at the very least have the basic recovery gear/points whenever you head bush. Another thought though is recovery points for your camper. You do not have to be on steep track to realise the value of them when they need to be utilised. Great part of the world around there, have a great time as you wont be on your own, it is a popular spot! Fifty bucks on a cheap UHF would be money well spent as you would/could hear other people in the area also.
Cheers
FollowupID: 401033

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:38

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:38
Madcow has a good point in the UHF.. I see UHF as a bare minimum recovery item too, but you recommend it to lots of people get turned away.

It can be the difference between life and death - this may sound a little dumb, but if your injured or knocked out in an accident, your kids are injured at least your wife can call for help.

We are lucky in our club, we have many first aiders who are usually out trippin round, one runs first aid courses in the club, and is ambo paramedic, carries the works round with him. He is radio controller at 000. You maybe lucky enough to call up one of them, or when your in chit, anyone is what you need...

www.prestigecom.net.au is about cheapest for new gear, or take a run down to Telstat in Seaford. See Peter in there.
FollowupID: 401062

Follow Up By: SteveL - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 17:35

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 17:35
A UHF is a must have. On a recent trip in the area we heard info about fires in the area and total fire bans from the CFA and were able to call for assistance to remove a fallen tree.-Steve
FollowupID: 401132

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:31

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:31
Hi Jarrotts

You could try along the Wellington river on Tamboritha Road which starts at Licola. I have not camped there but drove past recently and there are a number of campsites. If you can get hold of the Rooftop map for Dargo Licaloa area it has them marked. You can then try some tracks around the area.

As Truckster points out though there are some very character building tracks further on this road and even more over near Dargo. Definitely do not tackle them without getting some experience first.

Cheers
AnswerID: 147709

Reply By: Redback - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:00

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:00
If you get into the area visit Harrisons Cut and if you go into Dargo along the tar it's easy and there's plenty of good camp spots around Dargo such as Italian Flat which is 2WD accessable if you come in from the Swifts Creek or Licola end via the dirt then no camper if your not experienced enough.

Any further than there i would take Trucksters advice and get the minimum of, a Handheld UHF, 2 bow shackles 1 snatch strap and make sure your recovery points are up to it.

Be prepared, there are some steep tracks in this area, and if you get stuck on one with the camper it could spoil your holiday not to mention your hip pocket.

Baz.
AnswerID: 147737

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 13:15

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 13:15
You are right about Harrisons Cut a very unique peice of skill required to get through the hill.

I wonder how much gold they got out of the bend after the hole was drained.
FollowupID: 401079

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:11

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:11
A easy 2wd road with 18k of dirt is into the Mitchell River National Park at "Angusvale". Good camps along the river with some easy track in the area.

A safe river for kids as it has plenty of shallow gravel banks, also great for canoes, with O/N camp site down river.
AnswerID: 147750

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:40

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:40
How did you go Tony all OK i hope, AND don't forget OZ long weekend if ya can make it.

bmfitz at optusnet dot com dot au

Baz.
FollowupID: 401063

Reply By: gqpat - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:00

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:00
Hi Truckster just getting off the subject for a second ,Have you been up to Toolangi lately if so how was vic range track ,was up there in April was pretty messy or anyone else for that matter ???
AnswerID: 147881

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:10

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:10
Talkin to a few mates, its good. There was a tree across the track, which a few did doors and pillars in on, but its gone now .

Havent done Rocky and Vicrange for a while, due for a revisit I think
FollowupID: 401252

Sponsored Links