north qld road info

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:08
ThreadID: 2956 Views:1358 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am after info on the road thru kowanyama & pormpuraaw then east to lakefield np.
we are doing a trip later this year ( bris-longreach-cloncurry-normanton)and are thinking of taking this loop to lakefield

cheers
Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:18

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:18
Tony contact the Main Roads Department in Queensland as the road conditions can change overnight from good to impassable. The Main Roads will normally give you some local phone numbers you can call closer to the time (may even be centrlised now) to find out the condition of the road. I spent nine years in North Queensland and across Northern Australia so certainly no what happens to the roads in some areas after rain. In winter you are always fairly safe as you do not normally get enough rain to creat havoc.
AnswerID: 11268

Follow Up By: Helton - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:21
Thanks for the reply
we have traveled the bourke dev rd. normanton to cairns, and wanted to take a different route this time. I guess i am looking for info on what's to see and do on this route rather than road conditions as such.
We went to cape melville but did not get to lakefield but want to include this on this trip( probably june after the wet).
we cant decide on a route from normanton to lakefield but would apreciate info from any one who's dunit.

thanks again
Tony
FollowupID: 6212

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 15:16
Helton,

We did that route in July 2000, it is worth it, if you have time you can follow the Mitchell river and checkout the old crossing, quite a nice area to camp too.
We camped on the banks of the Mitchell river, you need permission from the Kowanyama Aboriginal community, they also have fuel there but don't rely on it as they run out as we got there...
The track is not difficult but it would be hard just after the wet.
If you use or are familiar with oziexplorer (the software not the person who posts here) I can send you the plots as I was plotting in real time the whole way.
That year we also did Cape Melville and we are doing Cape Melville again this year.
Will
AnswerID: 11283

Reply By: RussellV - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 15:21

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 15:21
Hi Helton
Yep have travelled that stretch of dirt. Beautiful area and best of all no tourists! Approx 120km from Kowanyama to Pompuraaw took us 4 hours. Mitchell River is an exciting crossing and must be walked through first. Must stay overnight at the beach at pompurraw (you'll have it all to yourself). Countless side tracks which can disorient those who are navigationally challenged, and some wild cattle grids!! From Pomp to the Roadhouse roads were in good nic and could do 100km/h. As always road conditions are a moving feast and need to check with Queensland Transport or RACQ. Hope this helps.
Russell
AnswerID: 11284

Follow Up By: Helton - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:24

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:24
Thanks to all
looks like we will take this trek!
Tony
FollowupID: 6252

Sponsored Links