sundowner nat. park, Burrows waterhole

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:22
ThreadID: 29601 Views:3114 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Im thinking of visiting burrows waterhole for a few days, using a Pajero 2.8d, towing a camper trailer without brakes, I hear the track is rough and slow, any further details, and suggested maps ect, many thanks, Rollin along.........
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:28

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:28
Hi Rollin - We have been to the main campsite. From the maps Burrows is only accessable from the Northern entry.
If that is correct, then I understand the track is too rough for camper trailers , and the rangers have prohibited them. The local 4WD club went there about 3 months ago, and it was tents only.

I also would like to camp in that area, so please post back if you get a definate answer. I have phoned the rangers, but get a recorded message saying the campsites are open.

Rangers number - 02 6737 5235

The Qld Govt PDF file (with small map) can be downloaded here : http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications?id=144
AnswerID: 147987

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:50

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:50
The trek into Burrows is steep and loose in spots and has diagonal holes dug, where drivers have spun diagonally opposite wheels, on the climb out of the valley.If you took it nice and slow, you'd be OK. On the way out, it would be a good idea to drop tyre pressures well down to gain more traction on the pebbly rocks, which like to slip out from under the wheels. I can understand the Rangers retiscent to allow campers, because they cannot know of the drivers' experience on such country, so it is easier to manage with a planket, NO. With a diff lock it would be no problems, but without you have to expect some wheel spin and may have to give it plenty of Wellington to drag the camper out.
AnswerID: 148002

Reply By: burnsy - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:07

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:07
Hi. I was there in winter 2005 an the condition of the track was rough yes,difficult to drive no. I would not hesitate to tow my 16ft van in.
It is just a rough track so take it slow.
Have a good camp
Burnsy
PS, there was a couple of camper trailers there back then.
AnswerID: 148129

Follow Up By: rollin along - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:41

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:41
Thanks for the info I,ll post the results of the trip when I get back, cheers rollin along.
FollowupID: 401516

Sponsored Links