Gunbarrel Hwy with Caravan

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:24
ThreadID: 29616 Views:2477 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Several years ago I travelled the Great Central Road for NT to Warburton and then up onto the Gunbarrel Hwy via Heather Hwy and on to Wiluna.

My question is for anyone who has recently travelled on the Heather Hwy section. Is the road / tracks still only the width of a vehicle in large sections, or is it wide enough to tow a 2.5 metre wide caravan along now.

We have an F250 and Bushtracker Caravan so the condition of the track will not be a problem, it is just the physical size of the track itself that may prevent a caravan on it.

Brian
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:38

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:38
Brian, We were through that way in August and I couldn't recommend either track to you. There are numerous overgrown sections that scraped down both sides of our cruiser and with the extra width of your rig you will encounter more side scruffing than most. The corrugations were pretty contagious as they were everywhere. Regardless of the build of your van, it will get the crap shaken out of it.
I did use a product called Scratch Pro or something similar and that was excellent to prevent paint scratching.
AnswerID: 148091

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:46

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:46
Thanks, I had a cruiser when we did it last time and it got a lot of scratches, that is why I though I would ask?

If the Heather hwy still has bush encroaching on the tracks, then we will do the Great Central all the way to Laverton. Will be doing the trip in April.
Brian

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401364

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:08

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:08
We did it in October, and support what Des has said. Its pretty hard to enjoy yourself on the Heather (horror) Highway.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 148101

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:50

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:50
G'day Brian

We towed our Aussie Swag through there in July and do agree with Des & Phil, It certainly knocked the crap out of the front side of the outside rear view mirrors on the Praydo.

Keep your rig nice and shiney,as per your rig pic, and go around the long way.

Safe travells

Jim-Bob.
AnswerID: 148149

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:19

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:19
Brian, did I see your rig down at Buchan over the NY? If it was'nt you there was one just lik it.
AnswerID: 148257

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 13:30

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 13:30
Hi Tony,

We were down at Bruthen for a couple of days early in December, then went over the top to Mt Hotham and on to Wangaratta.

Brian
Brian

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401548

Sponsored Links