Cape York Tours

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 22:28
ThreadID: 2966 Views:2200 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a Cape York Trip July 2003 and were wondering what recommendations people had for trips to the islands, fishing trips and places to visit while near "The Tip" We will have about four days there and also have three kids 2 - 9 years old so the things we will do should be kid's friendly (except my fishing trip).

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Holly - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 22:50

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 22:50
We tripped to the Cape in 89 and again in 95. During the last trip we stayed at Punsand Bay which I believe is ideal for kids. We also took a criuse to Thursday Island which was most enjoyable. Make sure you travel the Old telegrsaph Track on the way up as it is a must and gets you away from the ratrace of the new track. Chilli Beach and surrounding areas are definately worth a look.
AnswerID: 11310

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:50

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:50
Thanks Holly
Just reading about it is pretty exciting. How long did you spend up at the cape and how long do you reckon is enough time to see it properly ( and how long is a piece of string)
Andrew
FollowupID: 6457

Reply By: Member - Julian - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 16:26
We may see you on the track Andrew, I am planning a trip there at the same time. Still doing my research though. I will keep you posted.
Julian
AnswerID: 11337

Reply By: Member - Keith - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:08

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:08
Andrew, Go to the ExplorOz shop and buy Ron Moon's book on the Cape and the Cape York Hema map (you might even win the Hema trip prize?), then copy the trek notes for the Cape. You will then have plenty of info. Might even see you up there as we are planning to do the trip sometime this year.
AnswerID: 11366

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:15

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:15
Andrew,

Take a day trip out to Usher Point (though overnight would be better). From memory I think it's only about 80 km's one way but a bit of a goat track (not boggy when dry, just tight and winding) so fairly slow going. Best thing is the beach combing. Thousands of thongs, bouys, hundreds of feet of rope, netting and all sorts of paraphenalia. We spent hours poking through the flotsam and jetsum - very entertaining.

Beach fishing there is also very good and there is a nice cliff top drive as well.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 11377

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:20

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:20
Forgot to mention there are some military aircraft wreckages in that area. We stopped at one on the way in but I can't remember exactly where it was (had been many years). Anyway, if you've got good maps I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 6292

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 22:55

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 22:55
Sounds great for the kids. I am sure that by that part of the trip we could do with restocking wrt thongs and ropes etc. Love flotsam and jetsum.
Thanks for the advice
Andrew
FollowupID: 6397

Reply By: wheely - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 15:28

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 15:28
Andrew we returned from Cape York in July 02.Definatly travel the telegraph up and back, the corrigations on the by pass are horrendous.Also well worth sticking to the telegraph above Twin Falls and then head across to the By pass to the Jardine Ferry.Chilli beach is well worth the slow drive in, they have new toilets but there are no shower facilities and no fresh water.
We chartered a boat form the jetty at Seisha for the whole day which took us to Thursday Island and we intended to fish all the way back to Seisha but we didn't get much fishing done as it was unusually rough and we spent too long in the pub on TI.Can't think of the name of the boat company but the captains name was Tim (great guy).
AnswerID: 11438

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 22:57

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 22:57
Thanks wheely
Maybe chartering a boat would be better than doing one of the organised tours. I look out for captain Tim

Andrew
FollowupID: 6398

Reply By: wheely - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 15:20

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 15:20
Yes, If there are a few of you in one group it is the way to go. We had 7 in our group which was good.
Have a great trip!
Wheely
AnswerID: 11483

Reply By: Craig - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 20:05

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 20:05
Andew , we just got back Sept 2002 tips
- Punsand bay Must do
-Southern and Nthern by-pass road try to aviod ( bleep )
-Telegraph track must do ( Both ways if poss )
-Summerset Must do
-If your up at the time the local football grand final is on its MUST GO
great experance
- buy your fishing gear before you go at Bamaga $25 for a $7 plastic hand real
-If you get the chance talk to Raymond at the Jardine river ferry he`s a local with some great local stories
We took two kids 4 & 6 great stuff
We planned to go back 2005
All the best
Craig.
AnswerID: 11537

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:47

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:47
Is everything super expensive or just the fishing gear. We have 3 kids - they will be 9, 5, & 3 and I am sure we will have a ball. We are in Melbourne and have six weeks holiday - how much time do you reckon we will need to explore the cape??
Thanks for your great advice.
Andrew
FollowupID: 6455

Reply By: wheely - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:41

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:41
Andrew,
You will need all of your six weeks to travel from Melb. We took 2 weeks from leaving Atherton which was too rushed. We did Chilli beach then up to the top back to Weipa and then down through Lakefield Nat Park to Cooktown. I would recommend at least 3-4 weeks to see and enjoy everything the Cape has to offer.

Wheely
AnswerID: 11557

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 22:42

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 22:42
Hi Andrew.I have done two trips to the Cape (Aug 2000/June 2001)In June there was a constant 25to30 knot wind which made serious fishing amost impossible on the east side while the west side was`nt too bad in close. In august the weather was glorious calm day after day.I would seriously consider this if you are a keen fisho. Try Captain Billy Landing on the east and Vrilya Point on the west both are beautiful spots and great fishing on their day.All the other well documented places are well worth visiting.Also on the first trip fuel was 95c a litre at the Jardine on the second it had jumped to a $1.20. But thats still better than last years trip to the Kimberly where we paid up to $1.45. If I can be of further help please email me. Regards Mick
AnswerID: 12931

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 22:52

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 22:52
Thanks Mick. We are trying to sort out our itinerary for around a 3 week round trip. Was wondering if you had an itinerary that you could email or post. Was thinking of doing a new post to see if anyone had any suggestions. Cheers. Andrew
FollowupID: 7558

Reply By: Mick - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 21:11

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 21:11
Hi 3weeks is not a lot of time for a trip like this how ever there is still a
lot you can do. We went north along the coast from Cairns to the Daintree then the ferry across the Daintree River and through the old road to Cooktown from there to Laura and on up the Developmental Road to Weipa. Stayed there for a few days then back across the Batavia Downs shortcut and up the telegraph track we went up the old track (the lower section)there are numerous falls and creeks to see and most of the crossing are reasonably easy if you take it steady.Around thirty kays south of the Jardine there is a track of to the left which takes you to Virlya Point a top spot, there is plenty of water there, it bubbles out of the sand in one spot. At the turnoff there is an iron rusty triangle setup. Its about a 30 kay run in.Also pay a visit to Captain Billy Landing another great place.The rest of the Cape is fairly well documented and it depends on your personal preferences. Thursday Island,Somerset and of course the Cape itself. I hope this gives you some ideas. Ive no idea what you`re driving, but fuel consumption gos out the window on these types of trips so make sure you keep topped up. the is no problem getting fuel you just pay through the nose for it . Regards Mick
AnswerID: 13068

Sponsored Links