High Lift Jacks and Air Bags.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:18
ThreadID: 2970 Views:1832 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I just have added a TJM bar to my 100 series Land Cruiser. It has reinforced ‘T’ shapes cut out of it for using a high lift jack. Is it OK to use these cut outs for jacking vehicles with air bags? Should I spend the extra money and get an exhaust jack? If so what are the advantages / disadvantages of exhaust jacks over the traditional (tried and tested) high lift jacks.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 18:41

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 18:41
I have an exhaust /air bag my personal experiance is that they are great in sand and mud as they have a much widder base in the soft stuff where a high lift or normal bottle jack will sink without a good base board , the air bag is the best way to lift up a caravan as they can tend to slip off the standard bottle jack if you get any movement, I find them very quick and easy to use ,the only trouble I have encountered is they can be a pain to get back in the origional bag so I have had a bag made to measure with a zip full length , this is just my experiance hope it helps ( air bags are lighter to )
AnswerID: 11342

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:03

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:03
Hi Lift are very universal tool, with the capability of using it as a winch but it can be a little dangerious. The air bags are a pain if they get a hole!
Keeping the hi lift out of the weather is a must any rust they need WD spray. Buy a Hi Lift or Jackall not any other they are of lesser quality.Good Luck Jol
AnswerID: 11598

Follow Up By: Chris - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:36

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:36
Jol, Have you used your Hi-Lift on a vehicle with air bags? If so was there any problems?

Chris
FollowupID: 6556

Reply By: Jol - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:44

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:44
There would be no problem with the internal air bag, takes a lot to set them off, i wouldnt be concerned, do a lot with 4wd training

cheers jol
AnswerID: 11621

Sponsored Links