Bacon eggs on Cobb cooker

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 15:15
ThreadID: 29719 Views:3646 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondered what the trick is of cooking eggs and bacon on Cobb cooker , tried it this morning and it was a dismal failure , i know i did make the mistake of not preheating the grill long enough ,but there just doesnt seem to be enough heat . I reckon the instruction book could be a little more detailed with the cooking of different types of food . eg Do you use water in the moat and put the lid on when cooking eggs and bacon .??
However i must say how pleased we were when we cooked a roast using a cheaper cut of beef , it tasted heaps better than the dearer beef such as topside cooked in in a normal household oven . But once again the manufacturers cooking time is grossly exagerated . They claim 1 hour for every kilo of meat , try double the amount of hours for each kilo!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterjs - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 15:47

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 15:47
Hi, as I am not a cook in any way this is from my wife. I cooked the egg and bacon recipe as in the cookbook and it did seem to take a while but was well worth it, just have to be a bit patient, for beef I use a blade steak roast with the bone out, put on Cobb with potatoes around it, takes about an hour and a half with lid on with 7 heat beads, I always have water in moat and have the lid on. I have found that it always cooks well, tasty and tender. Hope this helps. Jan & Pete. [Pete type, Jan cook]
AnswerID: 148755

Follow Up By: Member - Kim and Doug (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:10

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:10
did you invert the rack that the heat beads sit in so that the beads are closer to to grill ?????

FollowupID: 401950

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:48

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:48
The dearest cuts are the most tender, the tastiest cuts are the cheapest but toughest - unless you slow cook them !

if you are using any type of slow cooker you can use the cheapest meat and make scrummy meals.
AnswerID: 148790

Reply By: porl - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:27

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:27
Did you put the lid on. I have one and haven't tried the frypan but think after a few roasts and such you'd have to use the lid (will taste better anyhow), but if you did and it still was a dud then sorry and keen to hear what else people say.
AnswerID: 148838

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:40

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:40
Brian,

The grill is no good. You need the Frypan which has a bi-metal base.
I find it works well without inverting the fire basket.

Alternatively, if you don't have the Frypan accessory, try a small frypan directly on top of the Pot Stand. (i.e. remove the grill altogether)

Takes a bit of experimenting but you will soon get the hang of it.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 148850

Reply By: peterjs - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:21

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:21
Hi again, no we did not invert the rack, but think it would be a good idea to get the extra heat and we have always used the lid and don’t take it off much at all, from what has been said before if you take the lid off to much that has a big affect on the timing of the cooking. Hope this helps, Jan & Pete
AnswerID: 148854

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:18

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:18
Thanks to everyone for their two bobs worth , i should be full bottle now, well almost !!
AnswerID: 149701

Sponsored Links