Toyota Prado

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:07
ThreadID: 29740 Views:2296 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
2004 Prado T/D Auto 3L Purchased June 2005 now has 12000k. Experiencing vibration the sort of which gives you pins and needles when driving at lower speeds and when engine is under power. Dealer acknowledges as "slight engine drone" saying Toyota is looking into it and it may be the subject of a general recall sometime in the future. It is particularly annoying and getting worse.

Has anyone experienced this???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 15:19

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 15:19
A Toyota...?? General Recall...? I would be surprised. I have just spent a week driving my mates 2004 Prado T/D Auto and loved it, so does he, I am very sensitive to vibrations or problems and didn't pick anything. Conversely I have also been driving a 2000 model Disco and noticed something similiar, I was tipping a pulley or something similar hanging off the engine. When I say pulley I mean something like the pump, alternator, a/con pulleys or their associated bearings etc. When you say the dealer aknowledges slight engine drone, did they bother to suggest anything..?
AnswerID: 148931

Follow Up By: Boc1971 - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 16:25

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 16:25
quote " When you say the dealer aknowledges slight engine drone, did they bother to suggest anything..? "

Lmao this is dealer talk for - I dont have a friggen clue - nor will any of the staff - maybe an apprentice will know but he wont use his power for good. we will get back to you when chickens grow lips

Frank
FollowupID: 402111

Follow Up By: LesMcI - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:23
Actually I was told by Service Manager that one of their mechos wanted to try somthing to remedy the problem but they were told by Toyota to leave it till it was further investigated - no other suggestion was made - also the reduction gear lever has a really strong vibration and has a lot of movement when engaging and disengaging - dealer reckons this is not connected to the vibration problem.
I am also experiencing excessive tyre wear with the outside tread on the front tyres -Dunlop Grand Trek AT20- was told to rotate at the 5000k service or I would have no tyre by 15000k - when I complianed I was told the tyres were bleep and not really suitable for the prado - to run them at 40p instead of recommended 35p in order to prolong tyrelife. Another prado owner I spoke to was told much the same thing.
I still like the Prado but the love affair is waning - do chickens really grow lips??
FollowupID: 402249

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:43
On the tyre wear issue it sounds strange, you should always get at least 40,000km , even a big heavy 100 series gets 60,000km on a set of tyres around town. Hopefully the vibration thing will get fixed and you get clear clarification on tires, nothing to get too concerned over and certainly nothing to kill your passionate love affair with the Prado. I find it strange Toyota told the dealer to leave the problem until further notice, when are they going to look at the issue..? Make your case strongly and in no uncertain terms , I'm sure you will get the issues resolved. Hey feel for the Porsche Cheyenne drivers getting 10-15,000 kms out of their $600 each tires thankyou very much.! If you were to sell the Prado over these issues, what would you buy?? and let me tell you anything else, non Toyota would give you a lot more to whinge about..!
AnswerID: 149136

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:41

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:41
I have noticed that the steering wheel vibrates ever so slightly such that on long trips you can get a feeling of "pins and needles" in your hands after holding the wheel for extended periods. Never had this on any other vehicle.

I thought it was just me but maybe the vibration is at a certain resonance that accentuates the problem. Is this the sort of thing you are talking about???

Mine is a manual 3.0TD

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 149268

Follow Up By: LesMcI - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:43

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:43
Sounds a bit like it but mine is a lot more than ever so slightly also it happens all the time but more noticeable under power at lower speeds
FollowupID: 402565

Reply By: Cragrat - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:22

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:22
We've done +66,000km in our 03 Prado (4L, GXL auto) and have not had any vibration probs at all. Would like a little more clearance when loaded but would not part with it. We have the AT20s and now looking about for new rubber (CooperATRs?, about the only alternative given the 265/65R17 sizing). Rotated the tyres every 10,000km, overall, the outside shoulder thinned more than the inner shoulder, so perhaps another alignment would have added another 5,000km, but 66 thou is not that bad given the number of roundabouts here in Canberra. Have always had 35-36psi in them around town (compared to the recommended 28 odd psi but noticed shoulder wear and less centre wear so squirtted more air in) and more (40-42+) on trips when loaded to the gunnels.
cheers
GB
AnswerID: 149753

Sponsored Links