GU - HD Dobinson coils/Gabriel shocks

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:38
ThreadID: 29765 Views:5491 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - Does anyone have any experience with the above combo (Shocks - Gas Desert Fox by Gabriel/Dobinson HD coils). Are foam cell shocks worth the premium (+$125 for four)? To be used in a GU with BB, dual batts, towbar, rear storage, cargo barrier ie some weight F & R, and towing an offroad camper regularly.
Ironman also got a good rap at the budget end of the market in last months 4x4 mag. Anyone with longer term feedback on these - I know they've haven't been around for that long. Or anything else??
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ACDC - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:45

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:45
Don't know about the coils(who makes them) but the shockers,gabriel are the same shocker as pedders need i say anymore!! -ubbish. If your on a budget monroe gas magnums are ok.
AnswerID: 149038

Reply By: Patroleum - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:49

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:49
Neetas

Gabriel are absolute entry level shocks and the reliability and durability is entry level too. Gabriel and monroe shocks end up wrapped up in all different brand names like Desert Fox. Do yourself a favour and buy a set of Konis. Probably twice the price but great quality.

Greg
AnswerID: 149041

Reply By: Batboy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:38

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:38
I purchased desert fox shocks and have to agree with the above - Try something else!.

I had two rears shocks installed and within 3 months one had completely destroyed itself (fell apart and got crushed by the vehicle). The other followed shortly after. both replaced under warranty and haven't had a problem since (approx 12 months) but still..

First one went out bush approx 300klms from home and the other on Fraser neither time were they being worked hard and both had to be removed to continue.
AnswerID: 149084

Reply By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:43

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:43
Hi,

Used Dobinson's coils in a GQ for over ten years with no dramas. Great company to deal with and springs are 100% Aussie made by them. Also used their shocks and now have them on a GU ute, they are made overseas to their specs, he tells me he basically pulled together all the best ideas from everyone and put them into one unit. I've had no problems with any of their gear over trips like, The Cape, Simpson Desert, Cape Melville, plus numerous 4x4 trips in my local area. Couldn't recommend their products and service enough and no I don't work their.
AnswerID: 149103

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 14:14

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 14:14
Mike,

I kind of agree with Austravel on this one to a point. Coils are excellent (200000km of heavy loads in my GU without drama. Shocks are not so good for me (replaced at 6000km with full refund by Dobinson's). Dobinson's as a company have been excellent to deal with and I would reccomend them to anyone interested.
The shockies were replaced with Old Man Emu, and I have had no probs with these in the 194000km travelled (approx km's). I have had Polyairs in for the entire time to help out with the huge loads I constantly carry, would also reccomend these if you plan to load up the GU regularly.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 149144

Reply By: DesC - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:43
My Dobinson coils on my GU sagged out and couldn't handle the weight. They were the biggest and the best that they had at the time but maybe they have improved now. I had to put OME springs out of a ute in the back to hold her up. I had iron man shockies once that pulled the piston off the end of the rod and created some issues, they are crap.
AnswerID: 149182

Reply By: ats11279 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:26

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:26
Ordered a set of springs for a car from Dobinsons once, when they arrived they were about an inch too big in the diameter, the second set they made which took forever were then an inch lowered from standard height. But maybe they can get something simple like a run of the mill GU setup right!
AnswerID: 149211

Sponsored Links