Roadstar Trackvan

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 22:16
ThreadID: 29769 Views:6192 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I have after all these years decieded to buy a 4x4 and caravan and do some travelling. I have just bought a Pajero Exceed DiD (very pleased I did) and am now decieding on what van to buy. I want to be able to go off road a bit if necessary but not way off road and don't want to go to the expense of a full off road van. I have been offered a Roadstar Trackvan by a fellow down the road for $38000. It is a 2004 model and in good condition. 19ft 6 long, toilet, shower, a/c, sattelite tv, etc. Has any one had or owns this type of van and what do you think of them. Constructive comments much appreciated. Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 23:24

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 23:24
What weight is it? Check your specifications of your Paj. Our Bushtracker is 2.2 t tare weight, add water plus luggage, equipment and supplies and the weight soon builds up. I think a 19½ foot Roadstar would be getting up to that sort of weight, but i don't know what the Paj. species for towing are. We purchased the vehicle first, then the caravan, and as our Patrol is auto, it is only supposed to pull 2.5 t, which we didn't know until after we bought the caravan, otherwise we would have chosen a different tow vehicle. Has not bee a problem to date, and we are about to take the rig to Tasmania.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 149056

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:49

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:49
Yes, check the van weight. 2.2t is a lot to drag around everywhere even on sealed roads and especially with a Pajero. A bloke in my street has a 1.5t boat on a trailer and has just had the motor in his Pajero replaced at 65000 kms. Seems the load at the back was a little too much. Either get a bigger car or much smaller van. You should take any van you are looking at buying for a serious tow before parting with the cash. It might just save a very red face later. I am sure there are plenty of off roadish vans that wont destroy the Pajero. Good luck.
AnswerID: 149087

Reply By: Bill13 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:00

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:00
Motherhen, The specs on the internet state that the vans tare weight is 1950kgs with a ball weight of 190kgs which is within the specs of the Pajero which has a 2.5t gross and a ball weight of 250kg. Have a great time in Tassie, we will be there next March, it's a great place to visit, keep away from the chocolate factory, to many freebies plus cheap chocolates. Bill
AnswerID: 149095

Reply By: gaz4 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 14:32

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 14:32
Bill13

As a long time Pajero tower (2.3 tonnes) let me put your mind to rest about reliability - they make a good and reliable tow vehicle and are very nice to drive at other times as well. Your diesel would be even more suitable than my V6.

But I'd think hard about buying that particular van to tow with the Pajero - 1950 tare is pretty high; what is the van's ATM (ie maximum loaded mass, which is what has to be accommodated within the Pajero's limit of 2500kg)? Even if Roadstar have used the normal 400kg load allowance, the ATM will be at least 2350kg, and in reality it is hard to keep within the 400kg load for a protracted trip. A couple of tanks of water will use up probably 150kg or so, then things like your TV, food, clothing, books, grog, utensils, linen, gas in the bottles, camp gear etc etc. Sometimes with the offroad vans, the manufacturer rates them with more than the 400kg load, recognising the potential for carrying a lot of stuff on long trips away from civilisation, plus the fact that a strong chassis and suspension give more leeway for a higher ATM.

Another trap with a second hand van is that often items have been added to them after purchase (eg a rollout awning is often added by the dealer and is not included in the tare weight) - so if you're really keen about this van I'd suggest getting it over a weighbridge in its empty state, to make sure that the 1950 is a genuine tare.

Hope this helps

Gaz4
AnswerID: 149147

Follow Up By: Bill13 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:57

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:57
n of the thread but no result so far. What type of van do you tow Gaz? Hi Gaz4,
Some people under estimate the Pajero and cannot look past the vehicle that they own and love to run down other brand of vehicles of which they no nothing about. All vehicles can fail at some stage, some more than others so a failed motor on a Pajero towing a boat does not make all pajero's unreliable. I am working in the open cut mining industry and have done for 29 years. I have seen a lot of 4x4's come and go and they all break with the hard workout but I have to say the 4.2L Nissan's were the pick of the bunch with the Prado's not allowed on the minesite again as mine vehicles, due to the downtime of getting repairs done to them and the front wheel suspension breaking. A total of 9, not good.The Trackvan that I am thinking of buying was towed around Austraila by a Pajero DiD and it was through talking to him about his vehicle that I found that his van was for sale. You made some very good points about extra weight and I shall take your tips onboard when looking at this van. I am still awaiting a reply about how the van is which was the intentioHow did you find the fuel consumption overall?
FollowupID: 402547

Reply By: gaz4 - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:46

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:46
Hi Bill

My van's a Compass, which is basically Roadstar selling through a different chain of outlets. Been extra happy with it, and I think you'll find that is the case with most Roadstar/Compass owners.

I'm sure the DiD would tow the van you are looking at and do it well - my main reason for raising some of the points is that it's easy to get a van loaded above the tow vehicle's limit, and then all sort of problems can arise with the law, insurance cover etc.

It's interesting to note that in New Zealand, Mitsubishi rate the Pajero (which I think is structurally and mechanically identical to the Aussie version) to tow 3000kg! I saw this discussed on another forum about six months back, can't recall which one it was, but apparently the reason for the difference in rating is due to Australia's hotter climate and the potential for overheating the engine or transmission in extreme conditions.

On that subject, I've fitted a larger cooler for my auto tranny and a temp gauge to keep an eye on it, plus I'm using synthetic fluid which handles the heat better. No actual problems, just me being cautious.

Cheers

Gaz
AnswerID: 149623

Sponsored Links