Wyperfeld - Pine Plains

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:11
ThreadID: 29779 Views:2397 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of planning a trip east later this year. Taking the wife & kids to some places I went to as a Kid.

In the 70’s as a kid we used to head up to Wyperfeld every August school holidays and spend a week camping. I vividly remember the last time the lake beds were full in the mid 70’s. We are coming from Adelaide and wondered instead of following the Western Highway to Nhill then going North maybe following the Ouyen Highway then turning South to get there. On the map it shows I can do this if I go around through Patchewollock to Hopetoun.

Does any one know if there is a shortcut through Pine plains and entering the park from the North. From some of the maps I have seen there now appears to be a number of 4wd tracks around the area and I though this may be a varied route.

Thanks in advance

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BigMav - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 12:04

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 12:04
Hi Alan,
without looking at my maps, you can cut across from the Murrayville- Nhill rd to wirregren plain via firebreak track, there are some big dunes but steep only on the east side. I drive down the east side of the plain - kellys lookout & Mt Jenkins are worth a look here. you can stay in the bush to get to Wonga camp ground - moonah track across to North -South track? Patche Pub has a bit of character,

Cheers
Paddy
AnswerID: 149114

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:34

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:34
Thanks, thats certainly an option. I have had a look on the map and the part from Murya Ville - Nhill rd is not a clear track shown but it is clear from wirregren palin onwards.
FollowupID: 403096

Reply By: Matilda - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 12:11

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 12:11
Plenty of options and most of the tracks are sandy and genuine fourby tracks. I suggest turning up the Murrayville Nhill track/road and turning onto Milmed Track and following that brings you out near Rainbow. From there there are plenty of options also.North.

Others may have other suggestions.
AnswerID: 149116

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:56

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:56
Gaday Alan. Since you were there in the 70's The Wyperfeld Park has been expanded a fair bit with quite a few track closures as a result.
The best option I'd suggest is to have a look at the Pink lakes then cross the road at Underbool & down Gunners track to the Wirrengren plain. Kelly's lookout & the Snow drift (camp) are well worth the time. Head out via Racecourse, Moonah, Eagle, North/south & Dattuck tracks. These are high range soft sand, 4x4 only.
The Wonga campground is a great spot to stay & check out the Eastern lookout.
The best map is currently "Victoria's Deserts 4WD map".
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 149273

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:36

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:36
Back in the 70's when i was there most of the tracks were closed to public, only the EAstern Lookout ring rd and the rd to Black flat were open. Though the park was smaller then so alot of the surrounding areas were open.

Thanks for your advice.

Alan
FollowupID: 403097

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:37

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:37
Thanks for you help guys, i now have a couple options.

Alan
AnswerID: 149812

Sponsored Links