maps for vic high country

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 20:13
ThreadID: 2978 Views:2547 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hi we are planing a 2week trip to mansfield/jamieson/howqua/woods point at easter with friends coming down from qld was just wondering if the is a web site we can down load and print out some decent maps that show off road tracks any help appreciated thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 21:02
I don't know a website you can download maps, but you can get the best possible maps from the CFA in Victoria. For that region you will need the Region 9 & 10 maps. Depending on where you live where is the best place to get these. If you live in Melbourne the Victorian Government Bookshop should have them by now. The new Region 9 & 10 maps have only just been released and were in short supply, but there is ample supply now and the Vic Gov bookshop should now have them on hand. If you don't live in Melbourne I can tell you how to get them direct. Any other maps are fifth rate compared to the CFA maps and for the $40.00 for the map book is worth every cent and it goes to a good cause to help their fund raising. Trust me, besides in a previous life being a used car salesman (official lie) I work with maps every day and predominantly in Eastern Victoria and in the High Country, so yes, I can assure you, these maps are *really* the best.
AnswerID: 11348

Follow Up By: Tourer - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 23:03

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 23:03
Hi Oziexplorer,

So tell us, how do those of us who live interstate, get the CFA maps. They sound like great value for only $40 for the set. Is there more than ten maps in the series.

FollowupID: 6278

Follow Up By: Raymond Charlton - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:26

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:26
Also have a look at the follow web site for maps of the area
Enjoy the Area
FollowupID: 6286

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:57

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:57
Tourer, what is your e-mail address?
FollowupID: 6289

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:22

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:22
Hi Ozi

What VIC GOV bookshops you had in mind ?
Is it ABC shop ?

AnswerID: 11370

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:56

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:56
Well, I cannot believe this. I just phoned to check if they had stocks of the CFA maps - lady replies "yes, we have plenty in stock, however since last week we are not allowed to sell them due to the privacy act. We are now only allowed to sell them for fire fighting".

To make sure of this, I actually phoned two regional offices in different areas, and yes, got exactly the same story from both. One is spewing as they the new version that has just arrived and have 17,000 copies on hand. These are sold to assist with CFA fund raising.

Where they have missed the point, people who go bush rely on the these maps for safety, as they are highly detailed, with substantial information, more than normal maps, and personally feel they are critical to ensure your safety and knowing where you are located. The importance of these maps for safety, to allow you to find a way out quickly and safely. Without these maps if you suddenly find yourself in the middle of a bush fire or other emergency you could easily be history/finito/finished/fried. Of course the clowns that make these descisions reside in their plush Gov Offices in Spring St; Melbourne and never get out into the bush.

The reason they are not allowed to sell them because of the privacy act is that they identify the names on the maps of the property owners. To show the stupidity of this, you can get the names from many other sources that are all freely available. How can we possibly call Australia the smart country (shaking head in disbelief)
AnswerID: 11375

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 18:30

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 18:30
And there's the rub! User group action and option?
FollowupID: 6304

Reply By: Des - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:40

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:40
I saw some of the CFA maps (not sure which region) on sale at both these bookshops in Melb this week:
- Information Victoria, 356 Collins St. Tel 03 9603 9900
- Dept of Sustainability and Environment, cnr Spring & Nicholson Sts. Tel 03 9637 8325.
Perhaps they don't yet know about the restriction Ozi is referring to.

Specialist map shops like Mapland might also have them. See this list of major map retailers:

There are other maps of the area if you have no luck with CFA. I like Brookes's Bush maps, although they are only B&W. Rooftop Maps have several up-to-date maps of the area. The HEMA High Country map provides a good overview, least for the northern end of your destination. VicMap topo maps are good, but getting rather out of date; they can be bought as a pack (see

For some free info, download the relevant Park Notes published by the Dept of S&E. Go to: and either click the Publications link, or go to the info for each park (e.g. Alpine NP, Howqua Hills, etc).

See also DSE info notes for area outside the NPs:

Happy travelling.

AnswerID: 11434

Sponsored Links